Need A 100% Guaranteed Chocolate Cake Recipe Now!!!!

Baking By MikeRowesHunny Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm by patrincia

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 18

OK, I'm not sure what's going on, but I've used the Killer Chocolate Cake recipe for my chocolate cakes forever and they've always been fine! Today, I attempt to make a 9x3in square and a 10x3in round and neither of them will cook in the middle. I had then both in the oven for 2 hours and the middles are raw icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif !!! I use flower nails in big cakes and this isn't helping! It's not the oven - I've just made Nati's chocolate buttercake in a 6x3in and pudding basin and they have baked up beautifully in the time they should, I've also made vanilla cupcakes with no problem today!

So, I need a chocolate cake recipe that is NOT going to fail me right now, but is rich, chocolately and moist, and rises well (the reason I'm not just doing more of Nati's cake, it's too light in flavour for what I need!) - I have to make these cakes today and don't want to throw another $20 of ingredients in the bin like I just have icon_cry.gif !

Help, please!

17 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 18

Please help me someone, I need to get this cake baked ASAP! Thank you!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 18

Do you still need the recipe?? I have one that is pretty much full proof (from scratch). I will type it out if you still need it....let me know ASAP. I just didn't want to type it out if you already have one (like someone PM'd it to you or something).

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 18

I've made the Darn Good Chocolate Cake from the Cake Mix Doctor a few times now and haven't had any trouble with it. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have the recipe in front of me. Maybe someone else can get it for you. It's dense, moist and very good.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 18

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184&page=1&per=25&keyword=chocolate%20cake#content_area

LOVE this recipe...it lives up to its name. Good luck.
You may want to double or triple the recipe to be sure to have enough.

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 18

I have always hated baking chocolate cake for that very reason. Always had a hard time getting it done in the middle no matter what I did. Then I tried the Darn Good Chocolate Cake from the Cake Mix Doctor and have had excellent results. Now it is the only chocolate cake I make. It is in the recipe section if you do a search for it.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 18

The recipe I use is the WBH chocolate butter cake. The last time I made 3 inch deep cakes with this recipe, I used a heating core. For 2 inch cakes I use flower nails. I found the heating core works better for me in 3 inch cakes, but that might have been because I was making 11x15 sheets.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 18

The cake recipe (I've not tried the icing) on this one is awesome. It's turned out perfectly for me every time.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/BLACK-PEARL-LAYER-CAKE-231449

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 18

I PM'd you the recipe...Trust me, you will love it...Didn't have a link so I didn't want to hijack the POST with a long recipe!!

Good luck!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 18
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 18

OS

Is that Mike Rowe? He's so handsome...

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 18

I've also used the darn good chocolate cake recipe from this website. It's excellent and has never failed me!! Its also a pretty sturdy cake.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 18

bonjovibabe...please let us know which recipe you used and how it came out!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:02am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

OS

Is that Mike Rowe? He's so handsome...

It is indeed Mike, be still my beating heart, I LOVE him!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'm going to give these cakes another shot today and maybe use more than one recipe (2 different occasions), so I'll let you know. I won't use the cake mix based recipe though because I'm a staunch scratch baker only, but thanks for suggesting it!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #15 of 18

OK, back to report!

Firstly, thank you for all your recipes, I shall try all the scratch ones in due course, but today I chose the Black Pearl recipe, and then I tweaked Nati's Buttercake to give a more intense chocolate flavour (i've always found it a little bland before).

Black Pearl - baked up well and is soft and moist in texture. OK flavour, but a little too light for my taste.

My version of Nati's chocolate buttercake - OMG, this is now perfect and I will always use this from now on for chocolate buttercake. Firmer, but still moist in texture, and a lovely rich chocolate taste. Here's how I changed it:

250g margarine
500g sugar
5 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
450g self-raising cake flour
150g cocoa powder
100g melted bittersweet chocolate
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
415mls soya milk

Followed the directions as per Nati, adding in the vanilla, salt and melted chocolate after the eggs and sifting in the baking powder with the first lot of flour.

Hope this helps someone else!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:59pm
post #16 of 18

The Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can is the perfect recipe. None better, it's my fav and my customers love it.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #17 of 18

Moxey - that was what I was using yesterday, usually it works great, but neither of the cakes I made with it yesterday would bake in the middle - even after 2 hours in the oven!

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #18 of 18

The Chocolate Fudge Cake in The Cake Bible is to die for. I don't think the name of the recipe does this cake justice since I think of fudge as being dry and overly sweet. This cake is actually very moist and tender, and it is really dark in color. I absolutely love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%