Sugar Storm

Decorating By abbey Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 8:58pm by abbey

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 22

OK first don't laugh but I have a question. Does anyone besides me have a sugar storm in your kitchen when you make your icing in your mixer. I just recently got my first counter top mixer. I have always used a hand held and after I blew up two mixers I finally invested in a good counter top mixer not a kitchen aid (couldn't afford that one just yet). It seems everytime I make icing I have sugar dust on everything. Is there some simple tip to preventing this from happening?

21 replies
Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 22

If it's a Kitchen Aid they have a guard you can purchase.

If not just start really slow, or you take a tea towel and put it over the mixer when you first start to mix the icing.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 22

I always used to have the same problems. But after I was totally engulfed (however it's spelled icon_smile.gif) in PS & cocoa powder I had to start being more careful. I got really sick from inhaling the dust. Be careful. I wear a face mask. I sometimes forget the mask so I only put 1/2 cup of PS or CP in the mixer at a time. The powder also makes a big mess all through out my house! I hate that! Just more cleaning to do. icon_sad.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 22

I just used my new KA for the first time today. No problems with stuff flying everywhere. You have to slow down or stop the mixer to add the pwd sugar just as you would with a handheld mixer.

hth

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 22

I just put in a little ps at a time. I turn the mixer off and add a 1/2 c or so then turn it back on off and on until all of the ps is incorporated. I have a KA and the guard that comes with it. I don't like the guard and it doesn't like me so I don't use it.

Debbie

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 22

I have had this happen now a towel goes over the mixer and there are no more storms! Except the one day i left the powdered sugar out and my 2yr old got it and was jumping on the couch with an open bag...talk about a mess!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 22

OH NO Cady!!! That sounds like things my kids used to do! What a mess!! I bet you still have PS in your couch!!! icon_smile.gif Too funny!!

abbey Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 22

I do add my ps a little at a time. Although sometimes my darling 3 year old daughter likes to help add the sugar (then we have a major storm.)

I tried a dish towel but it kept tangling up. cady do you use a full size towel? I might give that a try. I hate when I have sugar dust on everything.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 22

I drape a wet tea towel over top the entire mixer and begin mixing slowly until sugar is incorporated. The wet towel "kills" the sugar dust and keeps everything confined to the bowl where you want it. My KA came with the plastic guard, but it's useless and gets in the way. It's stored in the bottom of my cupboard somewhere. Wet tea towel (wrung dry) is much better. icon_biggrin.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 22

Turn your mixer on/off in short quick spurts (hope this makes sense). Add only about 1-2 cups of sugar/flour at a time. Once you do the two-three short quick spurts, you can then mix as directed.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 22

LOL I first pull my hair up, get my apron on, and hope for the best every time.. icon_biggrin.gif Keep a wet rag next to the mixer to clean as I go... aahhgggg!! I have granite tiles on my counter, they are suppose to not require grout because when installed the seams are suppose to be so close it shouldnt let anything get into the seams. But some how Powdered Sugar manages to get into them.. icon_mad.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 22

you could also try putting your powdered sugar on a large piece of wax paper to use as a sort of "chute" .... get your mixer going at the speed you need and then just let the ps slowly stream into the batter...my 5 yr old holds the "chute" for me while I mix with my hand mixer...works pretty well. Almost no dust for us when we're done!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

you could also try putting your powdered sugar on a large piece of wax paper to use as a sort of "chute" .... get your mixer going at the speed you need and then just let the ps slowly stream into the batter...my 5 yr old holds the "chute" for me while I mix with my hand mixer...works pretty well. Almost no dust for us when we're done!

I was just goint to suggest this. I have my BF scoop about 1/2-1 C PS onto a wax paper chute that i'm holding. (this way I can control how much i'm letting in at one time) I use this method with my KA. It works great for me. I sitll get a small cloud but it is not as bad as what it use to be. If you want to do this by yourself, I may suggest getting a wide mouth funnel. This way you can still hold it with one hand and a small amount will "stream" into the bowl.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 22

I alternate PS and the liquid called for in the recipe. It's a little more time-consuming but less mess! I'm with you, cakemaker, I don't like the KA guard either. It's always in my way!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:37pm
post #15 of 22

My husband thinks all that white stuff on the counters and sometimes on the floor is flour. He can't believe that I am so messy when I bake a cake. Last night I finally got to show him that it is powdered sugar and just how easy it is to get it everywhere!

I saw Paula Deen use a towel over her mixer yesterday when she was putting powdered sugar in the mixer. I have never seen or heard of that before. Neat trick, I'll have to try it sometime.

abbey Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:50pm
post #16 of 22

Glad to know that I am not in the storm alone.
I think I'll try all your methods and hopefully I'll find something to contain the sugar and quit having to dust my kitchen everytime I make icing.

Thanks for the tips!!

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:51pm
post #17 of 22

I USUALLY USE 2 DISH TOWELS BECAUSE ONE WASN'T BIG ENOUGH AND I STILL HAD PS ESCAPING. NOW WITH 2 IT WORKS. GOOD LUCK!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:35pm
post #18 of 22

kate39, i have tried the two dish towel approach when making a large batch of icing, with better success. One dishtowel seems to end up in the bowl somehow.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:42pm
post #19 of 22

So when you use the dish towel, do you add all of your PS at one time?

I usually add it 1/2 cup at a time and I think it would be a hassle to place and remove the towels for each addition.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:44pm
post #20 of 22

I have a large kitchen towel that I lay over my KA and I hold it against the bowl.. I wrap it carefully around the back so no confectioner's sugar escapes from the back part of the bowl... I let it mix and get incorporated then I remove... I can tell by the sound and the feel of the bowl when all the confectioner's sugar has gotten mixed with the shortening and other ingredients.... I take the dishcloth off and go over to my sink and shake it as there is usually some sugar on the underside... I've used this method for years now and it works well for me icon_smile.gif

my dream is to one day go into a full time business, making enough money to HIRE someone else to do this and to clean the mess up afterwards icon_biggrin.gif it doesn't hurt to dream, now does it?? lol

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 5:11pm
post #21 of 22

going to try the towel over the bowl tonite. Hate the cleanup after making icing. I'm also with most of you the KA guard is a waste, I don't even know where mine is icon_lol.gif

abbey Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 8:58pm
post #22 of 22

Hey I just had to share ntertayneme, I used a large towel over my icing yesterday and it worked wonderfully!!! No more sugar storms in my kitchen. I added all my PS at one time and then covered listened to my mixer and took the towel off when the sugar was mixed in. It was so great not to have to dust my kitchen when I finished making my icing!!! Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%