Feeling Down, Need Some Encouragment

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm by angelcakes5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #31 of 40

I'll never forget the very first tasting I did..

Broke out the crystal dessert plates... my 3 4 inch square tasting cakes... each decorated (what I thought was beautifully) had the white lace table cloth.. very nice beautiful sunny day .. very bright in the room..

young couple walks in... I present myself.. for 2 hours we talk... they eat... at the end...
Guess what they said?

We had a lady say she'd do it for a 1.00 a slice!!!

WHA???? Needless to say... Now I am gun shy... haven't done a wedding cake and dont want to really... well.. maybe I do but I am still gunshy LOL>

I told them to go ahead... I also said...

"My normal fee for the tasting is 30.00."

They looked at me ... and they took their wallet out.

NO way were they gonna lead me on all that time and eat my cake for free icon_sad.gif

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 10:49am
post #32 of 40

Wow, What do people expect I wonder? For a $1 a slice? Prices have gone up I mean look at the price of gas. If they took my shopping list and tried buying the stuff its ridiculous. I just dont think they understand the time you put into a cake. I was thinking last night I know they are using a pretty good and expensive caterer I wonder if they told him he was to much? Also they are using the florist that I always use, I wonder how they worked with her. It just amazes me. I really would like to know how much they expected to pay for a wedding cake to feed 215 people. I would love her to check around on prices and have her know I am cheaper than he average. Uggh! Sorry its still bugging me!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #33 of 40

I know I chimmed in yesterday too...I think we get this response from those that are planning us at the last minute.
I know the mother in law to be was going to pay, but the bride may have been saying that it is to much because she doesn't want to spend anymore money....not even someone elses. She probably already exceeded her budget and because you are one of the last expenses you are getting the brunt of it.
I was going to charge $2.75 a slice for one of my husband's friends step daughter (meaning someone I didn't know)
Mind you she had no pictures with her but had a cake she wanted...I was delivering for free and offering a netting for around the cake free (outdoor wedding)...the following day she had her mother leave a message on my machine saying they will be looking for someone more reasonable.
So just stick to your price and don't allow yourself to feel guilty because they think it is to much, I know that is how I felt when it happened to me...

abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #34 of 40

I can't stand people like this! If they don't like your price, they don't have to buy your cake! I think they are getting a great deal and should be grateful you are doing it with a MONTH before their wedding. Stick to your guns and don't lower your prices for ANYone! People don't argue about their bill when they go out to eat, nor the flowers for their wedding, wedding dress or catering, yet for some reason they feel the need to argue about cake prices. It's ok if someone doesn't think you are 'cheap' enough, they can go buy cupcakes from Walmart!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #35 of 40

wow...that's a really good price. i think she needs to go to a grocery store because that's the only place where she will find it cheaper. she will get what she pays for. i wouldn't go down on that price...that's way more than fair. icon_wink.gif

angelcakes5 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:51am
post #36 of 40

I have an update ~ I got a call from the grooms mother last night. I guess when she told me the # of people that how many she invited. There will only be 165 people, so that works for me. So she is going to give me the full amount on Monday. Thanks for everyones support, without all of you I might have done something stupid and lowered the price. Thank You!! I will let everyone know the outcome!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:00pm
post #37 of 40

good for you! Be sure and post a pic for us!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:26pm
post #38 of 40

Remember that Kerry Vincent does not turn on her oven for less than $2000.00 and Duff's cakes START at $500.

For every one that walks away, another client will take their place.

I put prices on my website (after consulting CC first) and I may not have as many calls as I did, but I am not running myself ragged answering the phone and "giving away " cakes for less.

Good for you for sticking to your price.

angelcakes5 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #39 of 40

Have an update for all of you. I received deposit check from grooms mother yesterday. TOday I get home and the mother of the bride calls me tonight and said she called around and she found a lady who will do $2 a servings thats about 30 miles from my location will you meet me 1/2 way? I said no I can't do that. She then said I will have to cancel. I said ok thats fine I will send the check back tomorrow. I think I threw her off guard because she started to stutter. Let me tell you I am so proud of myself for standing up to this lady! I usually take it but I knew my husband would be upset with me and the grooms mother would have been too. I got off the phone and my blood was boiling. This lady is total witch and thats being nice. I told her I would love to see this ladies work. She said she has been doing it for 15 years. I said more power to you. She said she will still tell everyone I make good cakes I said dont bother because of everything I have gone through with you lady I dont ever want to make a damn wedding cake again. UGHHHHH!! Sorry so long. I called the grooms mother (my friend) and she was ticked off. She was going to call and have words, which I never meant to cause trouble, but why the heck am I in the middle of this. I talked to my mom and she said if the brides mother calls back tell her you would not do the cake but its for (the grooms mom and her son). I just cant get over she is not even paying for it, but then she tells me yes she is. I never got a deposit from her I got it from the grooms family. Sorry guys I am going nuts right now!!!

angelcakes5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm
post #40 of 40

Another update - the cake is cancelled. I am not even sure if the wedding is still going on. There has been a bunch of lies going on, and the cake is one of them. The mother of the bride is causing lots of problems. I feel horrible right now but I think I may be better off not doing this cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%