Help! Traveling 50 Miles With 3 Tiered Cake How To???

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm by ibmoser

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know the proper technigue with traveling a tiered cake in the back of a mini van. I don't know how to use dowels to stablize the cake. ANy tips for a cake due this saturday would be appreciated.

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 8

The SPS system is the best support system to use but you probably don't have time to order it now. There is a turtorial on here using dowels. You have to have some type of support system.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, SPS would have been the way to go. Also you will need non-skid mat.

You do have to have some type of support system.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8

Just do as tiggy2 says and look at the tutorial and make sure you put a dowel thru all three layers. Maybe even two long dowels. A few inches apart. Drive slow, take corners slow. You can put the cake board on a towel in the back of van with a/c on high. Remember cold cakes travel better than warm. So if you can keep in fridge till transport that is best. If using cardboards between layers, I would double or triple them and you still can get a sharpened dowel through all. What kind of supports are you using?

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 8

thanks for replying however I don't understand what you are saying. I am new to this. What is SPS and where do I find instructions on using dowels? Can you provide the link?

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 8

Here's a link to the article on doweling. The SPS system can be purchased at Oasis supply online.
http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 8

I would also suggest that you stack on site instead of trying to travel 50 miles with it already stacked since you've never done a stacked cake before.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 8

Stacking on site would be the best bet if at all possible, and be sure to take an "emergency kit" of extras with you to make little repairs if necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%