Nc Home Bakers

Business By butterflywings Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 2:25am by acookieobsession

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 6

I tried to asked question in the sticky thread about states that license home bakers, but I think b/c some of it was lost in the big crash it's not getting out there.

Those of you here in NC, that do not own your own shop or rent storefront. Do any of you know the rules or regs for being licensed if you are using a church kitchen? I can't be licensed in my home because I have an indoor pet, but both the church we attend and the church where my kids go to school have offered to let me use their kitchens for baking/decorating. My question is does the state consider it the same as a "home" kitchen or would it be viewed as commercial or restaurant? I've tried looking at the state ag. site but I really couldn't find the answer I was looking for.


5 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 6

does no one know anything about this????

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 6

i have no idea but i would guess that if the church kitchen is functioning it has to already been inspected by somebody. Have you asked the church to see if they have a sanitation score or a health inspection like the ones on the restaurants? i think if the kitchen is already inspected you are just another person cooking in it and that inspection would cover you as well...right?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 6

a friend of mine has a catering business where he works out of a church kitchen. When he did his research, (Wake County) they told him that the church has a licensed kitchen, and it wold be fine for him to use. he didnt have to do anything else. Apparently, they are required to be licensed if they use them for church functions, etc. I would check to make sure the church is inspected and you should be good to go.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #5 of 6

great.. thank you.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #6 of 6

you should just call the dept of Ag and ask to speak with the person who does in home kitchens. She can give you either the answers or the number to the person. you still would need to have an inpsection sheet (really jsut a form they fill out) to prove that it is ok for you to sell. you can't just ride on their inspection. Because you will be doing your own thing and paying your own taxes. the girl at the D of ag is very helpful...sorry I can get here name now as I am out of town.


Quote by @%username% on %date%