What Does "fairy Tales" Say To You?

Decorating By 2508s42 Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 2:14am by michellesArt

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 13

I am entering a decorating contest with the theme "Fairy Tales".

Do you have any ideas that are not the norm? I don't want to do the same thing as everyone else that enters.

12 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 13
DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #3 of 13

Doug's idea on the Ugly Duckling cake would be cute...

Is Alice in Wonderland considered a fairy tale? There would be lots you could do with that...

My initial thought was Cinderella or Snow White. Glass slippers, getting ready for the ball, 7 dwarves, a magic mirror, poison apples...

Sorry about the mess of ideas, just throwing out some thoughts to help you get started!! Good luck whatever you choose, and as always, cant wait to see pictures!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:16am
post #4 of 13

Oh yah, was in that discussion before! Alice in Wonderland was not a fairy-tale but something else even though Disney made a movie out of it!! lol
Something out of the norm I think Grimm Fairy tales. I would also google "fairy tales" and see what you come up with. You may find something that you see.
I also think of Rumplestilskin or Repunzel (sorry about the spelling!) Most people will go with Cinderella and things like that.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #5 of 13

Try The Brothers Grimm. They wrote most of them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #6 of 13

The Princess and the Pea - you could do a stack of mattresses with the princess on top

Good luck, whatever you choose!

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:33am
post #7 of 13

Oooohh Repunzel!! That would be a neat cake!! A tall tower with a window and a looong braid. Great idea!

I saw an adorable Princess and the Pea cake at a cake show in Austin a few months back... It was adorable! Thats a cute idea too.

Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #8 of 13

I did "The Old Woman Who Lived in the Shoe", for MACS. It was time consuming, but not really too difficult.

You could do--- "The Three Bears", "Little Red Riding Hood", "Mary had a Little Lamb, lots and lots of possibilities with Fairy Tales. Just get a childrens fairy tale book and go through it.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:44am
post #9 of 13

hey price, those are great ideas but i think those are mostly nursery rhymes...what about...(thinking)...hanzel and gretel-you could make figures walking up to the gingerbread house with the witch leerking inside? you could get pretty intricate with the gingerbread house and make the cake look like a forest with a path leading up to it?

michellesArt Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #10 of 13

soory price, maybe just mary had a little lamb is the nursery rhyme, anyway, could you combine a few? my daughter loves this show call SuperReaders and it's a bunch of nursery rhyme/fairytale characters...that would be different and fun?!

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:35am
post #11 of 13

The first thing I thought when reading the original post was something a little darker, like Grimm fairy tales, but the thread Doug posted wanted to stay away from that. If it were me, that might be the direction I'd head (though I just watched Pan's Labyrinth and found it to be incredible so I've been in a'horror fairy tale' mood lately).
I'd also wonder if it had to be a popular fairy tale- I had a book of Italian fairy tales when I was a child that I absolutely treasured! Again, if it were me, that might be where I'd start.
Someone mentioned Hanzel and Gretel- there's a lot you could do with that theme without running the risk of it being overly popular.

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #12 of 13

When I hear "fairy tale" I didn't think of just one. The image of castles, princesses, Giants, fairys and that kind of thing came to mind. Maybe like the scenes from Shreik. I just googled fairy tales to see what would come up and the first image was of a book opening up with a castle coming out of it. I saved the picture. It would be cool if you could somehow come up something like that. Most people will probably pick just one fairy tale and go with that. What about doing a castle cake with the diffrent charters in and around it? you could have a giant or a dragon looking over everything. The 3 pigs working on a house outside the castle, a swan with some ducks swimming in the moat, Repunzel in one of the towers, a gingerbread man standing gard. A witch picking an apple off a tree. Little red riding hood talking to her grandma. The ideas are endless guess it just depends how much work you want to put into it. It's an idea anyway.
Sherri
LL

michellesArt Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:14am
post #13 of 13

oh i love that idea!!! you can really run with it creatively (?sp)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%