Dummies.

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 2:01am by tonedna

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 20

Hi Cake Central-ers!

A lot of you decorate "cake dummies" from styrofoam. I want to start decorating dummies for my portfolio.
How do you all decorate the styrofoam dummies with fondant??
What are the procedures??

Thank you!!

19 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 20

Ive never done it myself, I have dummies, but never used them! lol

I think Ive read you cover them tightly with plastic wrap and spray them lightly with water then apply the fondant.

Hopefully I have time to decorate some to do a portafolio too! GOOD LUCK and HTH!

Babarooskie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks!

Anyone else have some feedback?

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 20

someone told me they didn't even cover them, but i tried that an the fondant wouldn't hold in place. going to try the plastic wrap lightly spritzed with water. that hopefully will make it hold on better.

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 20

I just covered a foam dummy with a friend who REALLY knows what she's doing! She said she normally spreads the dummy with a thin layer of Crisco and the fondant sticks beautifully, but not too much if you want to take it off and use the foam again. In my case, I never want the fondant to come off this one, so we brushed corn syrup thinned with a bit of water on the foam first. The fondant's stuck on there REALLY good! It's a good glue!

I haven't heard of covering it with plastic wrap first, but I imagine it could make the fondant bumpy and not adhere tightly enough.

HTH!

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 20

i have done a dummy before. I iced my styrofoam with buttercream just like a regular cake and covered it with fondant. you can also ice it with royal icing i suppose, but didn't try that yet.
Just treat it like you would a regular cake.
Ice, cover and decorate.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 20

If you type in dummies or cake dummies in the search, you'll come up with a lot of posts regarding this.

Prior to covering my dummies I take a rolling pin and soften the top edges of my dummies...some people file them down. This gives it a more realistic look and it also prevents your fondant from tearing. I cover it with plastic wrap and spritz with water or you can use some piping gel. The hard thing is that it's so light that it shifts easy so I use those nonskid liners that you use in your drawers to help hold it in place.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 20

I don't cover the dummy with anything but a THIN layer of piping gel. Soak off in hot water when you want to change the dummy.

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 20

I have done several dummies and I lightly spray the foam with water and then apply the fondant. I have removed the fondant from one of my dummies and it came off pretty easy. That was after letting it set around for a couple of weeks. I haven't tried the plastic wrap way myself.

Babarooskie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 20

Awesome- thank you all for your help!

Babarooskie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 20

I just remembered something...

What if you have two styrofoam pieces that need to be together to make a "cake"?
How do you stick them together?? I have two rounds that need to be stuck together to make a "cake".

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 20

just use a little icing or water or gel or whatever you used to stick the fondant to the dummy in the first place... a little dab will do ya.

The nice thing is that you don't have to dowel them. That is the second worst part of cake decorating...construction. (imo) The first being cleanup!

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 20

All of the layers in this cake are dummies. I just wet each one with water and covered. It was for my county fair entry.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=919593

2508s42 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:06pm
post #14 of 20

HOLY MOLY Ladij!!! I am so GLAD that I didn't compete against you!!! I live in Eastern Idaho, and am just now designing my fair entry for this year. Last year I won people's choice, but that was all. icon_sad.gif

Of course, I only had 2 days notice before the contest, and they had 2 months. icon_smile.gif It was the first year they had done the contest.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 20

I did this one for a competition.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1212056

I spray my dummies with water to cover them.
And to stack them on top of each other I use RI.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

2508s42 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #16 of 20

I LOVE IT tonedna. Would you mind sharing how you got that beautiful finish on the fondant?

tonedna Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:36pm
post #17 of 20

Is handpainted with luster dust in different variations.. icon_biggrin.gif

ladij153 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #18 of 20

Thanks so much for the compliment 2508s42!! I'm sooooo glad it was dummies as it took me forever to do it. It's a take-off on a Kerry Vincent design I saw in an American Cake Decorating mag. I saw it and just had to tackle it.

ladij153 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #19 of 20

Edna, I love your cake! I left you a comment. You did a beautiful job on it. I can see why you won People's choice!!! I so love the work you do!!

tonedna Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #20 of 20

Thanks! ladij!...I sent you a message on the medallions!.. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%