Gp Bow And Luster/shimmer/pearl Dust

Decorating By awolf24 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm by wgoat5

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

I would like to attempt my first GP bow and need some advice. I have the general idea of how to make the bow from the info I've already found on CC but when/how do you add the dust? Do you dust the loops and tails after they dry but before you form the actual bow on the cake? It doesn't seem like you could get to all the areas once it is assembled. Do you dust it on dry or mix with lemon extract/vodka? Do you also do the inside of the loops?

Seems like a simple question but I'd like to hear how everyone does it. Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 6

anyone willing to help me on this one? icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 6

The technique I use is to dry dust the GP or fondant immediately after cutting my strips (before I shape the bow and the GP is still moist). This achieves a nice, subtle shimmer to the bow.

You can mix with extract/vodka and paint after the bow dries but I think this technique better when you want a bold color (e.g. pure gold, etc...).

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 6

icon_smile.gif

The blue bow is sprayed (luster/pear/everclear)

The pink bow is dry dusted icon_smile.gif

If ya need any help hun give me a line on the pm icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! I don't have an airbrush so it looks like dry dusting is the way to go. Great bows Christi! (that birthday cake looks suspiciously like it could easily translate to a wedding cake...but that is another thread isn't it???) icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 6

LMAO

Let's not go there LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%