Fruit Filling And Temp. Question

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hi.

My cousin has asked me to make her son's Christening cake and I've accepted. Now she has informed me that she wants a plain vanilla cake with a strawberry filling. The party will be held outdoors as her apartment is way too small. I asked her if she had anywhere to refrigerate the cake or else I'd have to use a different filling. She then responded by asking me if it would be okay to leave the cake inside if the air conditioner was turned to 60 degrees F. (This was by e-mail and I haven't responded yet).

What do you think? I'm not sure about this and in looking up old posts I'm leaning towards telling her I'll use the sleeve filling as opposed to fresh. Oh, also, the car ride there will take me about two hours or so. I have air conditioning in my car, and will insulate as best I can, but I'm still nervous about this especially since we recently had a heat wave of three or four days in a row of 90+ weather. Opinions, please and thanks in advance.

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I think the strawberry sleeve filling tastes like red glop. It may have been the brand, but it was so artifical I almost ruined my cake.

I would use a good quality jam for the filling. great taste, to storage problems.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Personally, I think the strawberry sleeve filling tastes like red glop. It may have been the brand, but it was so artifical I almost ruined my cake.

I would use a good quality jam for the filling. great taste, to storage problems.

Thanks, JoAnn. I'm not crazy about those fillings either, but..........at least their shelf stable and convenient. As far as jams go, do you know if Polaner All-Fruit is considered to be a jam?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 5

Close enough. It is stable at room temp, and tastes very good.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks again, JoAnn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%