80S Party - Help!

Decorating By amandamotley Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm by amandamotley

amandamotley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamotley Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 19

The theme for this birthday party is totally awesome 80s. I have thrown around several ideas, but can't seem to settle on one. I've thought Madonna, MTV, etc, but can't pick one! Any great ideas? Thanks!

18 replies
BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 19

I would put a rubiks cube on it! Maybe some crazy neon colors. I like the Madonna and MTV idea. He-Man, Strawberry Short Cake, Smuft, Rainbow brite, The A-Team, A cassette tape, A keyboard.....

I typed 80's in to google images that these are some of the things I come up with.

I like this idea!!!

chrissiecookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissiecookie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 19

I made an 80s cake for a roller skating party last year, it's in my pics now. I put a roller skating girl with a side ponytail, smurf, rubiks cube, pac man and the ghosts, some rainbows and hearts, can of hairspray and some 80's sayings. It was a big hit! Good luck! It was a really fun cake to do.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 19

maybe a person with tight rolled jeans, 2 colored socks and jelly bracelets... oh and don't forget BIG hair and hair spray icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 19

Jem & the Holograms!!! (totally getting my 4-year-old niece into it! icon_wink.gif )

Definitely some bright, neon colors

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 19

Calvin Klein jeans, Izod, Sperry Topsiders, Dee Cee carpenter jeans, definitely big hair w/lots of hairspray, what ev er...like yah, I kno ow, valley girl, punky brewster....

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 19

I love the Rubik's cube idea!

all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 19

spandex tights, leg warmers, oversized shirts...Xanadu, Flashdance

all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 19

Jane Fonda workout....hahahahahahahahahahahaha not knocking JF...

Head/sweatbands w/big hair

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 19

hair scrunchies, don't worry be happy, long t-shirt tied in a side knot over pink glitter spandex with slouch socks and LA Gear high tops.

oooh, any one remember the pogo ball?

and definately nintendo, or maybe that was early 90s

I love 80s stuff cabbage patch dolls, he man, my MIL was an aerobics instrucor, that's pretty 80's

I can't wait to see this cake

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 19

I'm doing an 80's party next month, and I'm doing a boom box cake with gumpaste cassette tapes, and it depends on what genre because there is Hip Hop and New Wave, Punk, it's endless.... icon_razz.gif I'm doing hip hop so it will be door knocker earring, kango hat and big gold rope chain LOL!!!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 19

ok, one more... SHOULDER PADS! I really love the 80's.

On a similar but totally off topic note, The New Kids On The Block have a new album and I am not embarassed to admit that I am going to buy it.

I actually had a NKOTB birthday cake for my 10th bday

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 19

check these out:

Crazy-4-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 19

My husband had a 40 b-day party a few years ago. It was a halloween costume party of all our fav 80s stars. Lots of "head-banging" 80s bands. My DH loves 80s music so his cake was using the doll mold of his head (he's bald) and I put a toy hammer like he was hitting his head, then just music notes and the words to 'Bang your Head' but changed up to "turnin 40 will drive you mad". The pic was taken with an old 35mm camera but I have scanned it if you want to see it, PM your e-mail. We had a BLAST at the party all of us 80s characters. I was Madonna, my FAV!!
Have lots of fun! and Good Luck!

all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #15 of 19

OMG...endless love...blue lagoon(brooke shields goes well with the CK jeans..."nothing comes between me and MY Calvin Klein jeans")...Journey(open arms, faithfully)...okay...I'm tearin' up...I better stop....

memories....I shoulda, coulda, woulda....hahahahahaha...nah, I shouldn't've either.

Buckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buckeye Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 19

There were games like: Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, Atari,
There were the neon rubber braclets, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink, freshly cut mullet, crimped hair all valley girled out,
Dont forget about Prince (little red corvette)
BACK TO THE FUTURE, ALF!!!!!!!!!!!!

all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #17 of 19

RONALD REAGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

amandamotley Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #18 of 19

wow, thanks yall! good ideas. i may just end up doing a hodge podge of all of these things...

amandamotley Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks again for your everyone's replies - I was really happy with how this came out, even though it took FOREVER! It's in my photos now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%