Too Funny To Keep To Myself (Long)

Decorating By Danielle111 Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 1:16am by SueW

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #31 of 90

Leahs - I've always had (in the past) checks clear within the two weeks, but I'd rather not chance it. Do I need to change my policy?

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #32 of 90

I say treat her like any other paying customer and do the cake. I did a cake for my DH's ex-wife for her (& her current DH) daughter's birthday. Let me tell you, she and I have definitely had our moments but we've been able to work past it. I was still somewhat surprised when she ordered a cake from me (it was a Dora & Boots cake). I was scared to death that she would find a reason to try to humiliate me on some aspect of it, but instead she called after the party RAVING about how beautiful the cake was and how she wasn't expecting something so wonderful! I think she thought I would just put some plastic Dora toys on it and call it a day. So anyway, it made me feel really good and boosted my confidence in my skills (not that you need that -- your cakes are AMAZING!) because if the ex had good things to say, they must be true! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm
post #33 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle111

I think I'll do it, but for no less than $10 per serving. That sound about right?

I don't know, but let's see here. How about we just do the math. Does this equal out:

Take the $$ amount he took from you + cost of the cake to any ol' Joe then divide by the # of servings = $10

I'll bet not. Just a thought that came to my mind.

icon_smile.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #34 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

This is how I would handle it....I would think of her as a customer and I would do for her exactly what I would do for any customer. I would let her know, tactfully, that GC cake is not authentic German, but that a lot of people make that mistake. I would help her figure out what she wants and then I would make the cake...and charge her what I would charge anyone else. She's a customer, I would treat her like one.

This is an opportunity for you to shine as a professional. Take the emotional part out of it and get the job done. IMHO, of course.

I agree 110%! (if there is such a thing as 110%)! Be professional, charge your full price, be tactful, reserved and businesslike. Don't get involved emotionally and stay away from the bleach icon_smile.gif

post #35 of 90
Quote:

This is how I would handle it....I would think of her as a customer and I would do for her exactly what I would do for any customer. I would let her know, tactfully, that GC cake is not authentic German, but that a lot of people make that mistake. I would help her figure out what she wants and then I would make the cake...and charge her what I would charge anyone else. She's a customer, I would treat her like one.

This is an opportunity for you to shine as a professional. Take the emotional part out of it and get the job done. IMHO, of course.

I agree 110%! (if there is such a thing as 110%)! Be professional, charge your full price, be tactful, reserved and businesslike. Don't get involved emotionally and stay away from the bleach icon_smile.gif

post #36 of 90
Quote:

I agree 110% (if there is such a thing as 110%)! Be professional, charge your full price, be tactful, reserved and businesslike. Don't get involved emotionally and stay away from the bleach icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #37 of 90

The cake part, I think you have figured out.

What concerns me is your first paragraph. - How the odd conversations that are not about cake and the fact your mother gave her your information, bother you. That needs to be dealt with as well...

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #38 of 90

I'm not too terribly worried about [/i]her, I can deal with her silly butt all day if I have to. My mom, on the other hand, is another story - she quite literally had no idea that it was a bad idea to give her that info.!! God bless her. icon_rolleyes.gif

But, now it's happened, and I've come to grips with the fact that I am going to be getting kooky e-mails from the loony from time to time. No big deal. They're actually pretty entertaining - this is her last e-mail to me...

Hi Danielle!

I hope you still remember me. It has been long time since last time I wrote you. It is nice to talk to you again. About a week ago my nephew and I talking about what we going to do for C for his birthday and he told me he want to get a birthday cake .I show him your web site and he was very impressed with the beautiful art works you invested in your cakes. He told me he send you email to know if you will be available to make him a nice birthday cake with the taste of Germany. He got your email back but he did not know how big the cake should be and if I will be ok with it. He talked to me about it and I thought it was great idea. I'm sure c will be very happy to have that special birthday cake for his birthday. Since my nephew wanted to do it very much and if it is ok with you, we would love to have that cake. My brother is also living in Germany and my all family were there last summer and we all love Germany very much.You are the only person who I know can do this special gift for us. Please let me know if you ok with it. I'm ok with the size of the serving you suggested in my nephew's email .I will be busy most of the week next week. I will send you a check and you decide what to do with the cake.
We appreciate your time and looking forward to seeing you soon !
Thanks
It is up to you to create the picture of the cake. Please let me know the estimate and if it possible for me to pick it up by 6.00 PM July2, 2008. The writing on the cake just simple such as (The Best of the Best birthday ! July 2 ) No allergies to avoid but not too much chocolate. Maybe german chocolate with yellow cake?

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #39 of 90

oops. forgot to take the italics off.... icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #40 of 90

RUUUUUUUUUUUUN

She may not even pay you.....RUN....as fast as you can! You know she must have issues if she is with him...ruuuuuuuuuuun

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #41 of 90

Ok, I'm not wierded out but the ex thing. When I found out my ex was getting married I found a picture of a groom's cake that would be perfect. I emailed it to his mother, they both liked it and he was adamate that i could do the cake, and possibly the wedding cake. That did not happen but I did make the cake for their shower. It was a nice simple cake. Very elegant and I didnt add any extra special ingredients. I was happy to do it.

that being said the only time I would want to contact my husband's ex is to tell the woman to stop using our address and telephone number for her creditors. uhhh, thats another story. This woman is defiantely a loon, but if she's got the money to pay for her/his cake, thats all that matters in my opinion. I know I've dealt with a few loony customers, as long as thier money is green, who cares.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #42 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Her check will bounce.
It's bad Karma.
She's a loon.
Professionals know when to say "no."

Run. Run like the wind.

Couldn't have said it any better myself! COMPLETELY AGREE!

Run away now!

mad11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad11 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #43 of 90

Maybe she thinks what makes a German chocolate cake is the icing? I agree, treat her like any other cusotmer.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #44 of 90

I do find the ex thing creepy. What is it with ex's? She knows you through your website? The internet makes these scenarios way too common these days. Believe me, I know. I'm currently in a situation very similar except my 'crazy' thinks she's actually a good cake decorator, so I don't have to worry about cake orders. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you do this cake, remember that it probably won't be the last one she orders from you (unless you do a really bad job...on purpose, of course! icon_lol.gif). I know you said you CAN deal with her, but do you WANT to? icon_confused.gif Good luck with whatever you decide!

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #45 of 90

RUN FORREST!!!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:12pm
post #46 of 90

This is the craziest thing. First off, I would've checked my mother for giving out my info. Second, I would tell this lady that she's ALL OFF of her idea of German anything!!! Answer me...how are you going to have German CHOCOLATE cake "with not that much chocolate"? icon_confused.gif
I think somehow she's intrigued by you being his ex and has developed some fascination to "get to know you". Next she'll start comparing "how was he with you" (not so much intimately, but overall...hell, she might want to know intimate details).
Bottom line, this is just weird and I would be "BOOKED"!

Oh yeah...and she's trying to sap you with the "you're the only one that I know can do this cake"...B**** did it ever occur to you to do research on the internet or even the phone book for German pastries??? icon_confused.gif

Like I've said here before...all money AIN'T good money. Sometimes we have to turn down orders for no other reason than "just because".

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #47 of 90

I had a thought...
Do you suppose she wants the coconut-pecan topping from a German chocolate cake, on a yellow cake? That would make sense.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:11pm
post #48 of 90

I left a physically violent marriage. So me and my ex are not exactly best friends ... we don't invite each other over for coffee and such.

But if his current wife called me for a cake for him, I'd sell her one.

Personal is personal and business is business.

As long as you are paid in advance, just like your other customers, then she's just another customer. Unless there is an issue that you prefer not to bring up in a public forum, that we're all not aware of, then I just don't see the big deal. It's been 5 years. You've moved on ... he's moved on.

Life is just too short to act all high-school over an ex.

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #49 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Personal is personal and business is business.

As long as you are paid in advance, just like your other customers, then she's just another customer. Unless there is an issue that you prefer not to bring up in a public forum, that we're all not aware of, then I just don't see the big deal. It's been 5 years. You've moved on ... he's moved on.

Life is just too short to act all high-school over an ex.

Couldn't agree more! Do it, make some money, and treat yourself to something nice! icon_biggrin.gif

Danielle111 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:28pm
post #50 of 90

Indydebi - I couldn't agree more! There are times in our lives when we just want to be plain evil to satisfy our id, however, life is too short to succumb to childish urges. I originally started this thread to share this funny story and put a smile on everyone's face, as well as figure out the best way to tell her that German choc. cake isn't German, and lastly, to get opinions as to whether or not I should even do the cake.

Thank you for everyone's input! I weighed it all, and I will probably do this cake for her, get paid, and move on. Hopefully, it won't come back to bite me in the icon_mad.gif . icon_lol.gif

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #51 of 90

I don't get why everyone is so adamant that she's crazy and she won't end up paying you. From the email she sounds very nice. She offered to send a check right away, and if it's for a July 2 cake, that's plenty of time for the check to clear. I agree with a previous poster that it sounds like what she wants is yellow cake with the coconut/pecan icing that is typically on a German Chocolate cake, but you should just ask and clarify that with her. I agree with Indydebi, life's too short. She doesn't seem malicious or anything. Maybe it is a little strange that she's contacting her bf's ex to buy a cake for him, but hey, stranger things have happened. My sister and her ex's first wife became great friends after my sister divorced him. In fact, the ex tried to warn her beforehand what she was getting into, but of course my sister blew her off. Now she wishes she would have listened! icon_razz.gif

Danielle111 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #52 of 90

I also got the impression that she is being genuinely nice, and that she'll come through with the payment. We'll just have to see! icon_smile.gif

Thank you guys for all of the great advice!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #53 of 90

If you wanna do it, do it. There was a time when I was ok with my ex and coulda made him a cake.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #54 of 90

I would politely decline, as you have a conflict of interests - she wants a nice cake, you want to poison him icon_biggrin.gif.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #55 of 90

Am I the only one who sees this in a totally different light? This has nothing to do with money or professionalism. Of course it's purely personal and can be nothing else. Making this cake and possibly making this woman a laughing stock may be a kick for you but can only cause hurt to your ex and her and even you.

The email relationship should stop and the cake making relationship should stop as well. Call me an old fogey if you wish but I read a lot of psychological turmoil between the lines of your posts. You said you wouldn't see him but insist on delivering the cake. This is real life, not Seinfeld or Jerry Springer and real people including you could get hurt. You can't turn off emotions by stating it is purely professional, emotions just don't work that way.

Danielle111 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:59pm
post #56 of 90

KathysCC - You're definitely not an old fogey, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Oh, and what I said (after all of my typos icon_rolleyes.gif ) was, if I were to deliver the cake, I would NOT have to see him. Sorry for the confusion.

loriana Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #57 of 90

Weeeelllll.... after all this discussion, we all wish you the best of luck with it. As long as you avoid the high-school-drama and get paid well then.... KUDOS! It was all worth it.

PS- I once had to do something super-nice for a lady I really hated. She was so mean, hateful, pessimistic and a general PITA. It felt great knowing I overcame that and behaved rationally and humanely. I am sure you will feel the same after being professional with what could have been some major drama-rama icon_smile.gif

Danielle111 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:12pm
post #58 of 90

Oh, it's definitely not a kick for me. I'm really not sure where you derived that from, either, so can you please explain?

Truely, I'm not sure how this thread took this direction, when my main reason for sharing this kooky story was to put a smile on everyone's face. I apologize to everyone for allowing it to travel down this road.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:22pm
post #59 of 90

I only read half the posts and wanted to say if it was me I'd do it..

business is business and money is money no matter who it's from, get the money in advance and make the cake. I rarely turn down orders, I enjoy the money to much lol Just my opinion!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #60 of 90

It depends on how you feel about your EX.....she sounds a bit off, but if you can deal with it professionally, take the money and run.....

otherwise - Run Forrest Run

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%