Sifter Trouble

Decorating By nikki72905 Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 12:57am by JenniferMI

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:27am
post #1 of 9

HELP!!!

My sifter got something in it, I have washed several times and have even run hot water through it.
I ended up throwing about 2 lbs of PS away because little black things kept coming out of the sifter

How can I clean it or do I need to buy a new one?

Thanks!
Nikki

8 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:20am
post #2 of 9

I don't know about cleaning it. Go to the dollar store, and get a mesh strainer. Works faster than the sifter w/ the handle thingy.

Mike

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 9

Ditto on the mesh strainer! Several flicks of the wrist and you're done - I threw out my handle sifters - too much work!

Strange about those black spots - can't imagine what these could be.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 9

Check your flour.

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 9

I don't sift anymore, I put the dry stuff in my blender and I press it a couple of times on #7 and pour it on a piece of wax paper until I am ready to add it to the mixture. Try it.

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:39am
post #6 of 9

Yep, I too use a mesh strainer...thanks to finding out this secret on this site. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 9

i, too, like the ease of a mesh strainer, but my cake mixes don't work well in the one I have ... maybe I need one with slightly bigger holes for cake mix. The one I have works great for p.sugar.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 9

After discovering my mesh strainer is quicker to use, to clean and to find ( icon_wink.gif ) I'll never go back to a handheld sifter!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #9 of 9

I use the handheld mesh (strainer type) sifter. But, I do what I call reverse sifting. Instead of putting the sugar INTO the bowl of the strainer, I have a large container of sugar, I run the sifter bottom side on the sugar, and run it along the sugar. It fills super fast, I hate sitting there trying to get the sugar to go OUT the bottom I have it go IN the bottom. Works GREAT!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%