My First Attempt At The Calla Lily...yikes!

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 3:37am by msdmom

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #1 of 12

How can I make them look better?

I cut out a tear drop shape, smoothed out the edges on my foam pad (It was a really small pad so it was hard to smooth it out), wrapped it around the stamen and then put the green thing on it (what is that part called?).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
LL
LL

11 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 12

I think they look pretty good! I might have rolled them a little thinner and I might have made the green part a little smaller. But they look great for a fist attempt! thumbs_up.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #3 of 12

Thinner on the edges, and roll outward a bit to give a more natural "fall" to the edges....

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:04am
post #4 of 12

I build mine on wires and hang them upside-down to dry for a better shape, and I also don't use sugar paste for the green, I brush it on by hand using petal dust. It gives a much more natural look and you can fade it into the white as it does on a real calla. Also you can use a skinny bamboo skewer to give more natural curl to the edges and the "tail." Great first effort though!

Trixyinaz Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:12am
post #5 of 12

Okay, thinner sugarpaste it is and roll outward more on the edges. I thought it was pretty thin, but I guess not icon_lol.gif

I originally was going to "paint" the green part but decided to try using green sugarpaste. I agree, it doesn't look as nice.

Quote:
Quote:

Also you can use a skinny bamboo skewer to give more natural curl to the edges and the "tail."

What do you mean by this. How?

Thanks again!

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 12

I think they look great! I agree, thinner on the edgesicon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 12

Sorry I haven't been on since I posted the other night. You use a thin bamboo skewer almost like a curling iron to get a nice curl to the edge of your flowers (after you thin/soften them well with a ball tool--I recommend using a metal ball tool--the plastic ones just don't do the job as well, I think). This works especially well on roses, but also for the calla and any other flower that needs that extra delicate touch.

Trixyinaz Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks Tara. I did use a plastic ball tool so I'll go out and get a metal one. I wondered if there was a difference between the too.

So that I understand this correctly, after I "frill" the edges and "tail" of the calla lily with the ball tool, I take the skewer and do I put it unnder the edges and lightly fold them over the skewer? Do I do this before forming the flower or after? Thanks!

PinkZiab Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 12

With the calla I would do it after you form it... just to give it the finishing touch... with roses I usually to each petal individually before I attach it (with a little fine-tuning after it's on). I personally feel that the metal ball tool glides over the sugarpaste better than the plastic, and give you a more delicate edge. I'm no expert, by any means, but I did learn a few good tricks in school icon_wink.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks Tara and congrats on finishing pastry school! If only I could find the time and MONEY to go, I would in a heartbeat! We have a great program where I live.

PinkZiab Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 12

You're welcome... believe me I know what you mean. It took me five years from the time I decided to attend the FCI before I could actually get there... and the money, well, let's just say I am NOT looking forward to those student loans coming due! lol But I had to follow my passion... and I think I made the right choice. Good luck!

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:37am
post #12 of 12

YOURS LOOK GOOD ...IF YOU WANT ANOTHER MEMBER POSTED THIS
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:06 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So..here I am..I been asked so many times to do tutorials that finally I figure out to do one with my web cam.

I was nervous but there it is..a 4 part series on How to do Gumpaste Calla Lillies. From the tools I use, to how to do the center, and easy way to make the flower(anybody can do it this way) and finally how to use luster and petal dust on your flowers. Lots of info in them.

Go and watch them...leave me comments..let me know How can I do better so I can do other ones for you guys!..

By the way..excuse my accent!

Here is my You tube page..

HER NAME IS TONEDNA EDNA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%