Whipping Cream..expir June14...is It Still Safe To Use In A

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm by soygurl

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #1 of 6

mousse? I was planning on making some white chocolate mousse with it, ended up not needing it at the moment. I kept saying i will whip up a batch and freeze it the next day...never did icon_redface.gif I use it to fill my cannoli shells. So i was wondering is it safe to use even after the expiry date? My mom says yes, but i want to be certain. I am crazy about proper food safety.
The last question would be...say it's safe to use. I whip it up, freeze it..Once i thaw it at later time, how long is it good for then? I always wonder that. Not only with whipping cream, but other items as well. Especially since i will be freezing it after expiry.
suz

5 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 6

The moto I live by is when in doubt, pitch it out!! If it were just for my family meaning just my hubby and my boys, I might give it to them. But I wouldn't chance with anyone else. JMO

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #3 of 6

So you opened it? most whipping cream containers say, use within 7 days of opening, but not past the expiration date. throw it out.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 6

If it doesn't look, smell, or taste 'off' I would use it with no hesitation! It's 2 DAYS past expiration, not 2 weeks! But if there was ANYTHING strange about the color, texture, smell or taste I would toss it.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 6

The carton is still sealed, and has been in the fridge the whole time. I wasn't planning on using it for a paying customer, just for family at a later date.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 6

Sealed, consistently refrigerated, AND only 3 days past expiration?! USE IT! The expiration is really just an estimate. It's also the day they pull things from the shelves to be SOLD. USE IT! (unless it smell, looks, or tastes bad obviously) thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%