Help With Wedding Cake Servings

Decorating By Crystal13 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm by toodlesjupiter

Crystal13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal13 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking for some help in figuring out my tier sizes on a wedding cake. She would like a 5 tier cake and the design would be better suited to only have a 2" difference between tiers. We are looking at feeding around 275 people....though possibly 300. She does want to keep the top tier...though not opposed to serving the top tier and I will make a small cake decorated like the actual cake for them to save for their anniversary. we have talked about the wilton chart and it seems the slices are pretty small....she is worried about not having enough cake. I have been looking at Earlene's chart, but am having a hard time coming up with the right sizes, servings, etc. Any help would be appreciated!!

6 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

Well, according to Wilton you could do a 16,14,12,10 and 8 and that would be 272 not including the top. You could always make a kitchen cake too.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 7

Somewhere on here, Indydebi has shared her wedding cake servings chart. I think it's a good one to use. I guess you could try searching in the forums.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 7

I go by the Wilton Wedding chart. Since I stay and cut my own wedding cakes 99% of the time, I get immediate feedback. A good many people ask for "a smaller piece, please".

Let me guess .... she heard "one inch" and thought "paper thin", right?

Here are pics of my cut pieces of cake, 1x2x4. As you can see, they are a nice dessert size piece of cake. Cake is a dessert, not a meal. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

Here's a pictorial on how I cut my cakes to achieve these size pieces: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page9.html

Also .... how many people did she invite? Using my 60% rule, if she is expecting 300 guests to show up, did she REALLY invite 500 people to this wedding?

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry to hijack this post, but I just wanted to ask indydebi where I could find the cake cutting comb used in that tutorial? TIA!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Sorry to hijack this post, but I just wanted to ask indydebi where I could find the cake cutting comb used in that tutorial? TIA!

There's a source listed in this thread. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-399863.html You get one of these and you'll wonder how you ever cut a cake without one! You can also find them on ebay, but this source is the best price.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks indydebi! You always give the best help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%