Homemade 'cake Release' Vs Wilton Brand: Which Is Better?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 2:39am by NayNay2

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 28

I've used Wilton Cake Release for a long time w/great success (I havent needed to parchment my pans in forever). I think I will switch to the homemade kind...but I'm tentative. Any comments on taste and crumb differences if any...tips anyone?

The recipe has been around for a long time but heres a quick link to the super easy recipe (Marlene's link here on CC):
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1963-0-Cake-Release.html

27 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 28

I love making my own cake release. So simple and cheaper than wiltons. I don't have a problem with extra crumbs and the cake pops right out of the pan with out leaving any "left overs" stuck to the sides.

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 28

I was using baker's joy and then ran out of it and decides try making my own cake release and haven't bought baker's joy since, I don't line my pans anymore and I never have crumb issue. I give it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 28

Okay, after hearing about this "cake release" for a while now, I'm curious to try it. I usually grease and flour my pans, but it's messy and a pain in the butt. icon_rolleyes.gif Can anyone share a recipe w/ an explanation on how to use it? icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 28

Equal parts bread flour, veg shortening and oil. Whip until it's fluffy. Stores at room temp and just paint it on the pan with a pastry brush.

yummymummy Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 28

Thank you , Thank you, Thank you!!! icon_smile.gif

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 28

I have used both. I love the home made stuff. It is more econimical then Wilton even with the 40% coupon from Hobby Lobby. Save the money for your gas tank. The home made stuff rocks.
Mary

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 28

i had been using the baker's joy, too. and when i ran out, thought i'd try this. i used 1 c of veg oil, shortening and flour and didn't realize quite how much it would make. I keep it in an airtight container in my pantry and use it all the time. it's amazing how little you really need. as leah said, just use a pastry brush to "paint" the pans. it works really well. i have almost zero crumbs, no sticking to the pan. i let mine cool off in the pan for about 7-10 minutes, until the pan is cool enough to flip with my bare hands. WAY cheaper than wilton or bakers joy and i don't have to use parchment paper either.

yummymummy Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 28

ok, I'm sold! Making some right now!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 28

Use it all the time - works even in my little baby bundt pans.

Just like leah says - equal parts Shortening, Flour, Veg Oil. I use 1 Cup each. Use my hand mixer to blend the four + crisco, then pour in the oil and mix till blended. I store for a long time in my fridge.

My pastry brushes were leaving bristles, and the silicone ones don't cover quite as well, so I've been using paper towel to coat my cake pans.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 28

One reason it is so great, you don't have to make so much. I only bake now and then, so when I make my release, I use only 1/4 cup of each of the three ingredients...you can make as much or as little as you need.

fishinglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishinglady Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 28

My Wilton instructor gave me the recipe for the "homemade cake release" after my cans of Wilton's cake release kept clogging up on me.

I haven't used anything else since. I keep mine in the pantry, use my pastry brush and away we go. No problems. I use regular flour, crisco, and veg. oil. in equal parts.

Thanks to all on CC for the great ideas and suggestions. Since I am still a novice, I am like a sponge when I get on this site. Thanks from Texas.

yummymummy Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 28

PattyT said:

"My pastry brushes were leaving bristles, and the silicone ones don't cover quite as well, so I've been using paper towel to coat my cake pans."

just my little tip:
I use one of those small sandwich baggies (the fold over ones, not the zip lock type) to coat my pans w/ shortening. Just stick your hand in the bag, pick up some of your shortening or cake release and spread evenly in your pan. Take it off inside out (like a latex glove) and toss. Never have to get anything on your hands or seaping through a paper towel. thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #14 of 28

I personally LOVE the Wilton stuff in the squeeze bottle. My cakes never stick and I get a nice golden, but not hard brown crust in my magic Line pans. I did not care for the homemade as much.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #15 of 28

I use the empty cake mix plastic bags to grease the pans. Larger than the sandwich bags, very sturdy and free.

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:37am
post #16 of 28

here's the first cake i made using homemade cake release...been using it eversince. icon_biggrin.gif

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:30am
post #17 of 28

I like the homemade stuff too.. I use a baggie, but I like the idea of using the cake bag.. recycle recycle recycle!!!

I still dust it a little with flour too, just to be safe.. I'll make a tablespoon of each ingredient at a time so I don't have to store it. I don't whip it either, I just stir it til it's smooth.

Wendy

yummymummy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:35am
post #18 of 28

The cake bag is a great idea! I'll remember that...except when I'm baking from scratch. icon_wink.gif Gosh I love CC! Great tips....a whole bunch of people who use their brains!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:43am
post #19 of 28

Great idea on the cake bag!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:12am
post #20 of 28

Just a question on the recipe for homemade :
One recipe called for flour
Another called for BREAD flour

Which one?

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:29am
post #21 of 28

I just use regular all-purpose flour. It works fine. HTH

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:36am
post #22 of 28

I don't have access to shortening where I live. Could I substitute margarine instead?

vickymacd Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:41am
post #23 of 28

nancylynwallace~ thank you!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:49am
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahk

I don't have access to shortening where I live. Could I substitute margarine instead?

You sound like me...always looking for substitutions cause I can't get things. I think you should make a very small amount, using the margarine, just to see how well it works. Then you'd need to store it in the refrigerator I think, since margarine will get rancid when left out. Good luck!

vickymacd Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:53am
post #25 of 28

RANCID!!!!
I was trying to write a response re: the margarine, and couldn't think of the word RANCID, so I deleted my response! Ha, ha.
But that's what I thought too. Thanks for being the brain this morning!!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymummy

PattyT said:

"My pastry brushes were leaving bristles, and the silicone ones don't cover quite as well, so I've been using paper towel to coat my cake pans."

just my little tip:
I use one of those small sandwich baggies (the fold over ones, not the zip lock type) to coat my pans w/ shortening. Just stick your hand in the bag, pick up some of your shortening or cake release and spread evenly in your pan. Take it off inside out (like a latex glove) and toss. Never have to get anything on your hands or seaping through a paper towel. thumbs_up.gif

Oooh! This is a great tip. You're right about the paper towel mess. THANKS.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #27 of 28

I recently switched to the homemade cake release - love it love it LOVE ITicon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif. I'll never go back to the Wilton's or Baker's Joy again. I went the route of making a huge amount - 2 cups per ingredient. I bought an air container from Walmart and poured it all into that. I have enough to last a year and it's one less thing I have to mix when I'm preparing cake.

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:39am
post #28 of 28

I've only ever used the homemade cake release and its always worked great so why pay for what I can make so cheaply at home?

Great tip about the plastic bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%