Clear Vanilla??

Business By jessieb578 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm by snarkybaker

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 28

Does anyone buy clear vanilla in a large quantity? If so, where is a good price. I'm having a hard time finding it in a large quantity. I'm tired of buying tons of little bottles from WalMart and I'm sure it's not cost effective!

Thanks!

27 replies
abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 28

I have friends of mine that go to Mexico every year bring me back some, so I never have to buy any here icon_sad.gif Sorry I can't be of more help!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by abw2005

I have friends of mine that go to Mexico every year bring me back some, so I never have to buy any here icon_sad.gif Sorry I can't be of more help!

You should NEVER EVER use Mexican Vanilla- It is made for Tonka Beans which can be poisonous.

Quote:
Quote:

Tonka beans were banned in this country by the FDA back in the 1940s. They contain coumarin which is an anticoagulant, or blood thinner. They use this in rat poison to create internal bleeding. We try very hard to warn people that when you buy Mexican vanilla, if it is a big bottle that you have bought for a few dollars, it is vanilla made with Tonka beans. Vanilla beans are almost as expensive in Mexico as they are here, it is because of the lengthy growing process and all intensive hand labor needed. Tonka beans are cheap and have very similar flavor profiles to vanilla and that is why they are used to make vanilla. Even if we did want to carry the tonka beans, it would not be legal for us to do so in this country.

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 28

I really like this brand, and as it is double strength, you only have to use 1/2.
http://www.watkinsonline.com/productsgroup.cfm?Page=All&Parent=228&gCatalogLocale=USA&ECredit=081200N

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 28

I buy it by the gallon from Dawn.

jessieb578 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 28

Wow the Watkins has all kinds of extracts. I don't have a lot of experience using different flavor extracts, but I'd love to give them a shot and experiment!

Does everyone here use fun flavors like those??

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 28

I heard the same thing about the Mexican Vanilla. I won't buy that. Hate it that the real stuff is so expensive though, but it beats wood particles that the artifical is made from!

jessieb578 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 28

wood particles???? please explain!!! icon_eek.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 28

Ditto on the Mexican vanilla -- it is a big no-no. My dad has been on several mission trips to Mexico and they were warned about bringing back vanilla.

I also buy from Watkins. I just went ahead and became an associate a few years ago so that I could get the discount. Everything I buy from there is great. I use the clear vanilla and the butter flavoring for my icing.

jessieb578 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 28

southerncake, what does being an associate mean?? do you sell Watkins or something?

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 28

What about vanilla brought back from other countries??? ie: Haiti, Dom. Republic? Are these bad too? I never use them in my cakes or icings, just in stuff I make at home that I want to have an "enhanced" flavor.
Thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif

southerncake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieb578

southerncake, what does being an associate mean?? do you sell Watkins or something?

Yes, it's like Mary Kay or Southern Living at Home or Pampered Chef. I don't actually sell it to other people just because I don't have time, but I order it for my friends and family. I just figured with as much of it as I buy, I could really use the discount!! When I was young, I went with my mom to several Watkins parties (like a Tupperware party). She has used Watkins for as many years as I can remember!

southerncake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyCakes2

What about vanilla brought back from other countries??? ie: Haiti, Dom. Republic? Are these bad too? I never use them in my cakes or icings, just in stuff I make at home that I want to have an "enhanced" flavor.

I have never looked this up myself, but when my dad has been to the Dominican Republic they were told then also not to bring back things like vanilla.

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyCakes2

I have never looked this up myself, but when my dad has been to the Dominican Republic they were told then also not to bring back things like vanilla.

Wow - ok then! Thanks!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #15 of 28

I am a Watkins associate too! I do sell a little, but I don't really push selling. I LOVE the extracts! I need to look into buying myself a gallon of the vanilla because I go through so much of it. I used the maple extract in buttercream not too long ago and oh my gosh! It was amazing! I wanted to turn the bottle up and drink the entire thing! hehe But I knew it wouldn't taste like maple straight! lol

The almond is also awesome!

jessieb578 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #16 of 28

wow! I never heard of that before - Watkins parties?? I'm going to have to look into that!

snarkybaker Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieb578

wood particles???? please explain!!! icon_eek.gif

Vanillin is the most prominent flavor in vanilla, and is present in many organisms other than the vanilla bean. Oak barrels is one excellent example that accounts for a vanilla flavor in some Chardonnays .

So all clear vanilla, and anything that isn't pure vanilla extract, is made from these other compounds, most being byproducts of either the pulp and paper industry or the petrochemical industry.

In the case of tropical countries without vigorous labeling laws, you can bet that Tonka bean is one of the ingredients.

jessieb578 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #18 of 28

holy cow!! I never thought twice about using clear vanilla....is it really as bad as it sounds??

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:07pm
post #19 of 28

It definitely can be.

I wouldn't use it and I wouldn't buy from someone who I knew was using it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #20 of 28

Adamsextract.com sales pints and gallons.

southerncake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

It definitely can be.

If you don't use clear vanilla, what do you use in white buttercream?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm
post #22 of 28

I have heard (not tried yet) that you can use a small drop of violet coloring and it will turn your icing white white!!!!

Back to Mexican vanilla.... I thought there were two different kinds of Mexican vanilla.. one bad and one good.

I am going to start my own vanilla tonight. Ordered beans, bought the booze, and ready to go!! I am tired of spending so much money on such a little bottle... and not very strong

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #23 of 28

There are all sorts of rumors, aren't there. Vanilla here, in Mexico, is as safe as any type in the U.S. I have a hard time finding clear vanilla so buy it in the U.S., but regular vanilla is on the shelf at about the same price as in the U.S. I've never seen clear vanilla in bulk, sorry.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I have heard (not tried yet) that you can use a small drop of violet coloring and it will turn your icing white white!!!!

Back to Mexican vanilla.... I thought there were two different kinds of Mexican vanilla.. one bad and one good.

I am going to start my own vanilla tonight. Ordered beans, bought the booze, and ready to go!! I am tired of spending so much money on such a little bottle... and not very strong

I've done this, and it turns it kind of a grey white...

southerncake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

Me too!! I'm starting my Christmas present vanilla tonight!!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #26 of 28

Has anyone tried the Wilton white for their icing made with real vanilla? I bought some but haven't gotten a chance to try it yet and was wondering if it works. I hate using anything but real vanilla. TIA!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

It definitely can be.

If you don't use clear vanilla, what do you use in white buttercream?

Putting butter in BC actually turns it more off white than real vanilla. You can also use whitener since titanium dioxide is a naturally occuring element, not just another chemical, and is actually found in anything edible that is white, including your toothpaste.

snarkybaker Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapazlady

There are all sorts of rumors, aren't there. Vanilla here, in Mexico, is as safe as any type in the U.S. I have a hard time finding clear vanilla so buy it in the U.S., but regular vanilla is on the shelf at about the same price as in the U.S. I've never seen clear vanilla in bulk, sorry.

There is EXTRAORDINARILY good vanilla from Mexico. Mexican Vanilla Beans can be some of the finest in the world. The trouble is that Mexico doesn't have labeling laws that require manufacturers to label extract that has been enriched with Tonka Bean, which is still legal to sell in Mexico. Tonka Bean, in and of itself, doesn't contain enough coumarin to make most people sick, but again, not knowing how much is in the product, the elderly, the very young etc.

It is just mush safer to buy pure vanilla from a country that requires full disclosure on the label. I don't use any artificial flavorings my self. Our buttercream is made with all butter and a strong dose of our own vanilla extract blend. It is ivory, but takes color, and we do use a fair bit of brite white at times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%