New Grandaughter!, But I Need Your Help!!

Lounge By PennySue Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm by PennySue

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 16

Our son and his wife just presented us with our first grandaughter. She is just lovely. I'll be cooking for them for the next week or so to help out. Here is my problem. Due to a radical change in our diet (EKG said DH had had a heart attack...he hadn't though, just a faulty reading), we started to eat very (I mean VERY) simply and have just gotten used to it. Chicken, fish, veggies and br. rice usually. I used to cook all the really fun stuff and now that I'm going to be cooking for them, I'm having brain total freeze.

So...If any of you have any ideas for crockpot, or casserols, I would really appreciate it. BTW, here is a pic of the little darling.
LL

15 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 16

www.cooks.com is a great resource - the main page lists popular recipes and you can search by "crockpot" or "slow cooker" or "casserole" and get many results. I've tried quite a few recipes from there and they have been good.

Congrats on the arrival of little Sophia! She is adorable!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 16

I have two wonderful chicken recipes that are for the crockpot, One is a Italian Chicken and the other is a Rustic Chicken and Baby Reds.

I would be glad to email them to you.

By the way, beautiful baby!! Just precious!!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 16

Simple idea for crockpot - I do it all the time. Throw in chicken breasts with some seasoning, some veggies (frozen or fresh - broccoli is always good) and a can or two of 98% fat free cream of whatever soups and cook all day on low or for a few hours on high. Then you can just make rice (I always make brown) on the side, make tossed salad too and you have a great meal.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 16

Sorry, I'm looking for crock pot recipes too so I can't help you out there yet but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your little grand baby. My oh my, she is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!! How much did she weigh, etc? I know you must be one proud grandma.....

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 16

I just had a baby 2 1/2 weeks ago, we have had several people cook or bring us food.....

My Mom cooked us a spaghetti dinner, bread, salad etc....it tasted SOOO good after crappy hospital food.....

A friend just brought us over food, I was craving sub sandwiches because they are a no no when you are preggo, so that was an awesome dinner in my opinion.

Another friend brought us a HUGE container of something they called Dump soup, it had browned hamburger in it, rice, and about every veggie I could think of, made a thick soup..... very good, I have asked for the recipe but havent gotten it yet.

Another idea if you are stumped is gift certificates to maybe a place that has good take out. We often do that for our friends when they have a baby.

I do know some people really watch what they eat when they are breastfeeding, I just bottle feed, so I know nothing about this, but it might be something worth checking if she is breastfeeding.

mkerton Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 16

Super cute baby by the way!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 16

She's beautiful! My youngest daughter is named Sophia too...Sophia Anne.

If you want to make your healthy diet a bit more fun, you can grill the chicken in a foreman grill...it tastes great with a tiny bit of bbq sauce or marinated first. Plus it gets those little lines on it icon_lol.gif like a commercial. It takes longer to clean it than it does to cook in it, so if you go out and buy one, splurge and get the one with the removable plates. (which I end up wishing for every time I cook in the thing)

Cooking for your son's family, if you didn't mean that you needed healthy recipes...then homemade mac and cheese (so yummy!!!), lasagna, meatloaf, oh one good thing in the crockpot is to put in a chuck roast and some smoke flavoring then let it cook all day until it's soft enough to fall apart, then shred it with two forks and add bbq sauce and serve it as chop sandwiches with potato salad on the side.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 16

I don't really know of any recipes, but I wanted to say Congrats to Pennysue, the new grandma, and to mkerton, the new momma!

PennySue Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you all! culinarycreations, yes please PM them to me! I'd love them. The first night I made them Lazagna, last night was Spinach Quiche and tonight is Enchiladas. I was also thinking Stew and Chicken pot pie as those are easy to double and have frozen for left over.

Sophia was 8lb, 5oz, 21" long. She has blondish hair and I think her eyes will be blue like her Daddy's. Her skin is Olive like her Momma's.

I took this shot the other night with my "happy snap" aka a point and shoot. I'm looking forward to doing a full portrait session with them.
LL

mkerton Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 16

that is an awesome picture...and your meals sound great!

mkerton Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 16

to get rid of dup post

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #13 of 16

congratulations! those pics are gorgeous.

PennySue Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #14 of 16

[quote="mkerton"]I just had a baby 2 1/2 weeks ago, we have had several people cook or bring us food.....quote]

Congradulations on your new baby! What a fun new chapter in your life you have waiting for you!!

mkerton Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #15 of 16

thanks for the congrats..... this is my second kiddo and we elected not to find out what we were having either time. I now have a 3 yr old boy and a 2 1/2 week old girl! Exciting stuff!!!

PennySue Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #16 of 16

I had 2 boys before I had my daughter. Didn't know what any of them were till they came either, but back in "those days" you really didn't have a choice. Again, congradulations, girls are soooo much fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%