Tell Me Something You Could "never" Do...

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm by shisharka

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 5

I'm still new to cake decorating, but there are so many things I've become good at doing that I thought I'd "never" be able to do. I haven't even attempted fondant yet, but I have been able to get a smooth cake surface, do flowers and other decorations and challenge myself with some bigger projects I thought would never be successful. (This after much trial and error and practice of course!)

Anyway, for those of you who are more experienced, what is something you have "mastered" that you thought you would "never be able to do?"

4 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 5

I never thought I'd be able to sculpt a realistic looking person (from fondant or gumpaste). My very first attempt was a woman who ended up looking more like Miss Piggy. And she was the topper on my final cake project in culinary school. Very embarrassing!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 5

I always thought I could *never* do a whimsical tilted cake, but I did my first one this past weekend, and I was actually happy with how it turned out! The girl it went to was delighted, so that made me feel great. Hope it made it home after they drove it 3 hours on the front seat of a pickup...!

Benita143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Benita143 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 5

A friend just jokingly asked me to make this Olympic Bird's nest cake...it's the new stadium in Beijing.
Right now, this looks like something I would not be able to do....maybe someone else up for the challenge.
LL

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 5

I could âneverâ make a pretty cake â only tasty ones⦠At least thatâs what I thought while my scratch, mousse- or pastry cream- or fresh fruit- filled cakes would slip and slide all over the place looking like mud slides⦠Turns out, some tricks of the trade, and everything stays in place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%