My Last Cake... Can You All Tell Me What Looks Off About It?

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm by JulieB

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #31 of 35

Absolutely gorgeous cake icon_smile.gif I love the diamonds and the colours - definitely manly. And that melting snowman is so cute!

But, to be honest, I have to agree that even thought it was a perfectly executed cake, something seemed just a bit off...

And then reading through the posts someone (i'm sorry, I forget!) mentioned the flowers..

And I thought, yup... visualizing it without the flowers... I think it would have been absolutely perfect! The flowers themselves are stunning and very well done (I'm jealous icon_biggrin.gif ) but they don't seem to go with a "package" cake... maybe making it a bit busy?

But don't you ever doubt yourself.. i'd love to be half as talented as you; or as creative!

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #32 of 35

this is one of the most beautiful cake boards I have ever seen! i do think if the colors were reversed on the board, your (fabulous, by the way)cake would have popped more. I like the colors of the cake for a man, but they dont look very Christmas like to me, so the snowman looks a little out of place next to them. Just my two cents. I do love your cake!! And you definately WILL make beautiful wedding cakes!!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #33 of 35

I am new to cakes but I LOVE all of your cakes, look at your ladybug and 50th anniversary cake, they are pretty close to wedding-ish they are beautiful! I am learning if I doubt myself it causes me trouble! Be confident your cakes are beautiful!! I am hoping to get as good as you one day!

BellaBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaBabyCakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #34 of 35

I am not one to talk *at all* but I do have constructive advice, at least from an artist's view.

I agree with the others who have said a third color would be good..quilts and visual art pop with a mixture of light, medium and dark. I think this already fabulous cake would be even more so with a punch of lighter color in the cake itself aside from the "accessories". That would also help tie in the brightness of the snowman with the depth of the cake color.

Also, it may be just my eyes or the way the cake was photographed, but it almost looks as if the top tier is slightly askew from center point (the ribbon), which then makes the bow appear squished (we're not seeing it straight on).

This may have been purposeful on your part and I'm just obsessive compulsive about angles lol. Which wouldn't surprise me

I love love love your cake! icon_biggrin.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #35 of 35

That is a beautimous cake, and you are SO ready to do wedding cakes.

I think it's a great man's cake. The packages are beautiful, and the melty snowman is just a little whimsical.

I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%