How To Keep Black Buttercream From Bleeding Onto Iced Cake.

Decorating By garagesalenana Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm by Danielle1218

garagesalenana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
garagesalenana Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:40am
post #1 of 9

I have been having trouble with black buttercream bleeding onto my buttercream iced cakes. After the cake is finished and sits awhile it bleeds pink around the edges. I use the gel black coloring. I would appreciate any help with this as I have a cake for a wedding shower that has a black design over the white icing.
Thank you,
Tonya

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:46am
post #2 of 9

I dont' have much experience with bleeding colors, but is the cake icing crusted well before you add the black color? It would seem that if the icing is "hard", then it wouldn't absorb the black color like it would if the icing was still "damp". I've no idea if this is a factor, just throwing it out.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:57am
post #3 of 9

I don't have much experience either with black on white so I'll be watching this. Does anyone know if this problem could be corrected by using RI instead of black BC? It dries quicker, wonder if that would help.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:58am
post #4 of 9

I use Americolor Super Black for my black icing and it works great - never bleeds. I do use it with a crusting BC recipe. But I've also used it for a FBCT which isn't crusted as you do the outline and fill and it still doesn't bleed.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:59am
post #5 of 9

Have you tried using chocolate icing and adding black to that? That way you don't have to add as much coloring.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 9

Tonya,

Do you keep the black icing bag in the fridge and keep using it again and again without washing it out after each use?? This is when I found that my black bled also! I use to just keep icing bags in the fridge with multiple colors and used them when needed but I found that the icing broke down inside and sometimes the colors went liquidy from the heat of my hands.When I stopped doing this and made fresh bags and washed them out everytime...This went away!!Hope this helps!!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 9

Do you use meringue powder in your icing? That may help. Of course, not if it's a gel color. Does it have to be gel?

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

Do you use meringue powder in your icing? That may help. Of course, not if it's a gel color. Does it have to be gel?

I've used the black Americolor and the regular Wilton brand colors and add 1 Tbs. meringue powder to my crusting BTC recipes and rarely have any trouble. I did encounter some bleeding on my Marines cake last week but that was because the heat was a factor. Once the cake was chilled and able to set the bleeding stopped. It never went beyond a slight "glow" effect on the wording (which was only visible if you looked directly down on it and new what to look for).
When I'm really concerned about a color bleeding I sometimes add a touch more MP to the icing while I'm mixing the color in.
HTH

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 9

When ever I need black....I cheat. I buy a can of Pillsbury (or whatever brand) of Fudge or Chocolate icing. Then I put the whole can in a bowl and I had about 1/2 bag of powdered sugar and black coloring paste (I use Wilton's color) and I mix it until it gets the the consistency of medium buttercream. It is was too soft to use right out of the can. I also make sure my buttercream has crusted.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%