How Do You Cut Sps Pillars?!?

Decorating By soygurl Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 1:54am by arosstx

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:46am
post #1 of 16

So I FINALLY convinced my boss to switch to the SPS! WOO! But now I can't figure out a good way to cut the pillars. icon_cry.gif Before we were using wilton plastic dowels (those thick white straws) and simply cutting then with a serrated knife. I've tried doing that with the SPS pillars but they're just so much harder, it takes FOREVER. I finally figured out that I could score with a knife and snap them off, but I know that won't work if I have to make a cut somewhere between the score lines, or if I need to trim them really close to the bottom. So how do YOU cut them? I'm guessing a saw of some kind would work better, but I need a CHEAP, EASY method. My boss HATES spending money on ANYTHING, and it can't be too complicated or time consuming because boss lady thinks EVERYTHING is done too slow! icon_rolleyes.gif

15 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 16

I have to use a miter saw when I have to cut between the scored lines... I tried a pipe cutter but they just shatter.. maybe someone else would know..

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 16

Leah says she bakes her cakes to the height of the pillars instead of cutting them, is that an option for you?

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 16

I never cut them between the score lines. I bought a small handsaw with tiny teeth for about $6 at Lowes and it works like a charm!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 16

I have trouble with this, too.

Leahs idea of baking to the exact height sounds good in theory and I'm sure it works for others, but it just doesn't work out for me.

What kind of hand saw did you buy? Could you post a pic? I have just been using a serrated knife but it takes FOREVER. Other methods I've tried have cracked them as well.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

I have trouble with this, too.

Leahs idea of baking to the exact height sounds good in theory and I'm sure it works for others, but it just doesn't work out for me.

What kind of hand saw did you buy? Could you post a pic? I have just been using a serrated knife but it takes FOREVER. Other methods I've tried have cracked them as well.

If I remember right, I think Leahs has an Agbay leveler, so that makes it easier to get the height exact. I think maybe once I didn't have to cut the legs, but then again I don't shoot for that.

The saw I have is made by Kobalt. It has a blue and gray handle. I was in Lowes Friday looking for Father's Day gifts and noticed it. They are in the hand tools sections -- near the drills and that kind of things. I will try to post a picture tonight. It works beautifully!

Also, make sure you put the cut end into the plates so that the smooth end is rest on the plate below.

soygurl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 16

Hmm... yeah baking to the height of the pillars is NOT an option at all.
Do any of you use a miter box to help get the cut exactly straight? I've though that might help when cutting between the score marks but maybe it wouldn't matter all that much if the pillars weren't EXACTLY straight since the cut end goes into the plate... icon_confused.gif
I guess I'll just head to the hardware store and hope I can find something that'll work... icon_rolleyes.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 16

i was thinking if you use a miter box you will probably want to get an easy to use clamp just for ease and also for safety

I haven't ordered SPS yet but I am for my next cake, let us know how the miter box works, I need to be prepared in case my cakes aren't 4"

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 16

I have a miter box.. got it for Mothers Day icon_rolleyes.gif LOL but I love it... it clamps down to my counter top and I store it with my cake toys icon_smile.gif

soygurl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I have a miter box.. got it for Mothers Day icon_rolleyes.gif LOL but I love it... it clamps down to my counter top and I store it with my cake toys icon_smile.gif

Care to share the brand or a pic? icon_lol.gif Clamping to the counter sounds perfect! icon_cool.gif Was it $$$?

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 16

icon_redface.gif I don't know what SPS pillars are...could you share?

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 16

I use a hacksaw and it works great. They have different blades and you can get one for plastic. They are inexpensive also.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 16

I just don't understand how it's not easy to bake to height. All your tiers need to be the same height anyway.

I do have an Agbay so trimming layers is easy, but prior to that I used a ruler, toothpicks and a long serrated knife. And the tiers were the same height. It's just incredibly easy with the Agbay.

That said, DH uses a chop saw when I need a weird height tier, like 2".

Others have used a miter box as the PP noted and still others report good luck with a pipe cutter. That would be cheap and easy. Check the plumbing department at your local hardware store.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I just don't understand how it's not easy to bake to height. All your tiers need to be the same height anyway.

Maybe for wedding cakes, but sometimes I just need to do a 2 tier birthday cake and it doesn't need to be that high. Sometimes I bake a 3" high cake and torte and fill twice which still comes out to less than the 4" height of the SPS leg.

Quote:

Others have used a miter box as the PP noted and still others report good luck with a pipe cutter. That would be cheap and easy. Check the plumbing department at your local hardware store.

The pipe cutter I have used to cut the Wilton plastic dowels shattered my SPS dowel into small pieces of sharp plastic. I don't recommend it.

Once I finally get the legs cut, I do love the SPS system, though. Very sturdy!

soygurl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:44am
post #15 of 16
Quote:

Well, at the bakery I work at several different people bake the cakes. I just decorate them, and most of the time the hight varies drastically. Most of that has to do with the recipes we use, but I have no control over that. My crazy boss does and she HATES change. But any way, I can trim and fill cakes so that all tiers are basicaly the same height, but it can still vary up to an inch between different wedding cakes. And most of our cakes are stacked, I'd end up cutting all the pillars anyway (we are just getting the tall ones for the sake of simplicity).

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #16 of 16

I guess I'm fortunate. My husband got his dads band saw when he passed away, so I just use it. The cut edge gets jammed into the plate though, I don't let it touch cake. Works pretty good, and is fast!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%