Flower Overkill?

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 12:59pm by oliveoyle

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:52am
post #1 of 8

Ok so picture this:
Round Cupcake tower with 6 inch chocolate tier on top. Decreasing sizes of round cake drums with dummy cake foam separating. Chocolate and vanilla cupcakes with gumpaste gerbera daisies. Wedding colour is lilac/cream. I would LIKE to put gerberas on top of the 6 inch cake, but I would also like to have the top tier (cake tier) have a round glass vase base with fresh gerberas in it, instead of the covered foam.
I hope that's not too vague, lol. But I'm wondering if anyone can picture that, if you think that's total gerbera overload, (to recap, one gumpaste gerbera on each of 100 cupcakes), real gerberas in a glass vase supporting the top tier which is the 6 inch chocolate cake, that has a gerbera bouquet on top (not sure if that will be fresh or gumpaste yet, I think coordination wise it might be nicer to have fresh to correspond with the ones in the vase. Not sure)
Any feedback? In the design front (ex-graphic designer) I'm more of a simple is best/most elegant type person.
Oh and they don't want a cake topper, they wanted flowers on top, so that nixes out the one idea lol.

thanks for the feedback!

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:21am
post #2 of 8

Are you using lilac and cream as the colors for the cupcake flowers, or the bright reds, oranges, yellows, etc, which gerberas usually come in (sorry, if God made lilac or cream gerberas, I have not seen them yet)?

I like the concept, but if you're mixing colors (wedding colors on the cupcakes, real gerberas in gerbera colors, in the vase), I think the theme is going to fall apart.

Please give us a bit more information.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:49am
post #3 of 8

I agree that mixing different colors and the real to fake would not be good. But not because it would be too many flowers. Maybe you could nix the real ones and put the fake flowers in the vase and on top for continuity.

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:50am
post #4 of 8

It sounds Good But how tall will it be.
I agree with playing with sugar on the colour clash. Perhaps leave the vase empty or fill with something else, glass beads, sparkles And then sugar flowers on top of the real cake.

Good luck

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for the comments. I'm sorry I wasn't that clear- partially hard to explain with my lack of experience lol, but also a bit not sure what Im going to do.
Either vanilla and chocolate cupcakes will be topped with cream coloured and purple coloured icing and then just all cream gerberas, or the icing will only be cream coloured and i will alternate with cream coloured gerberas and purple ones? (I agree on the purple ones not found in nature- believe me they originally had burnt orange and amber as their colours, which is the reason for the gerberas in the first place lol. I know the 'real' colours of gerberas and i am sort of UGH at not being able to put those on instead because they're such vibrant colours. The plan with the purple then was for all the flowers to be in that colour palette, purple and cream, the real ones on top and the ones in the vase as well. So all the colours would be coordinated.
My new question I guess that one of you raised is are there Gerberas in purple? lol and just wondering if purple/cream gerberas on cupcakes, and in vase, and on top of cake tier would be too many gerberas lol.
I may ask some florists if there are and if there arent, i need to talk to sis and tell her we need different flowers (because the purple and cream are set now lol)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 8

I would go the glass bead route instead - you know, the ones about the size of a quarter, that they sell in craft stores?

And I would use the purple and cream, but also throw a green one here and there, around the outside edge, to offset the other colors.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 8

Okay there is not a purple gerbera.
The cream sounds good on purple you could always call them daises as they are similar and i like the idea of a couple of green ones. It will not be an over kill on flowers but i would use beads or altenative in the vase, as you will struggle to match the flowers.

Hope it goes well have faith and it will work out.

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 8

apparantly there are purple colored gerberas do an image search and you will find some really pretty arrangements .Rose of Sharon event florist has an especially pretty one of pale purple gerberas and cream colored roses. and the national gerbera sociaty tell about the different species and colors that they can come in HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%