Box Top For Package Cake -- How?

Decorating By tobycat Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm by tobycat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:55am
post #1 of 3

I want to make a package cake that looks like it has a box top on it. Anyone know the secret to making this come out looking so straight and like a box and not just like a piece of fondant stuck on the sides?

TIA -- S.

2 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 3

I do mine this way:

The box tops were made using 5 separate panels. I rolled out the fondant (with Tylose added) on a highly cornstarch dusted plywood and cut the pieces to rough size the day before. I let them dry out on the plywood for 48 hours. The day when I was doing the cake; I covered the square cakes with fondant the regular way. Then I took the dry, firm ( but still fragile) panels I had cut and trimmed them with my exacto knife to fit the exact size I needed to fit the cake tops. I attached them with dabs of melted candy melts. The corners were boosted up (under the top panel) with little gobs of fondant, since square fondant covered
cakes tend to round down and sag just a little). After I was done, any little gaps in the lids I spackled with matching BC.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much Sugarshack! Your cake are awesome and I really appeciate the tips!

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%