I'm Looking For Mini Cake Stands..

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 4:19pm by pinklesley1

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:05am
post #1 of 48

I must be google-impaired or something.. icon_lol.gif

I am looking for mini glass (or nice looking acrylic) cake stands for displaying individual mini cakes. Something 4-6" in diameter or square and about 4" tall. Does anyone know of a source for something like this?

Thanks in advance for any help. icon_smile.gif

47 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #2 of 48

Have you looked at candle holders??

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #3 of 48

I agree, look to candle holders, also check candy dishes. I have some that are just this size.

FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #4 of 48

I was looking up candle holders, but they were all the traditional cupped variety.. candy dishes is a good idea too. Thanks.. I'll keep looking around and see what I can find.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #5 of 48

look at pillar candle holders, and remember you can always glue a flat board to the top of the holder to hold the cake.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:59am
post #6 of 48

You can get a lot of really cool cake stands by thinking outside the box. Candlesticks, garden plant stands, wine glasses, all kinds of things become cake stands, or are made into cake stands. A lot of the cake pictures I save are not for the cake, they're for the unique stands.

Lindy Smith sells stands, too, doesn't she?

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #7 of 48

Thanks for starting this thread! I just got a request from a bride to quote a price for mini cakes, and I've never done them so I don't even know where to start. But my first thought was, What kind of stand do you put them on?!?!? icon_biggrin.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #8 of 48

check ebay.... put cake stands ... in the search, and they will have a ton, just search through that.. how many do you need....? do you need Glass or PLASTIC? check homegoods, ross, michaels (for pillar candle holders) Like someone said... think outside the boc

gabbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbycakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #9 of 48

There are many cake stands on etsy.com too, I was just looking last night. One lady had several she made using candle sticks, orphaned china, etc. They were a good price, it's also a good place to look for inspiration. (And when you have the time, just do a search for "cupcakes" and see what all you get!)

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #10 of 48

jkalman

Ijust recently made a shower cake for 3 ladies and I made gum paste babies so each lady would have their own individual little cake I went to Wal-Mart and bought the tall Sunday glasses ($1.00 each) and the little 7 inch clear glass plates (1.00 each) and made my own I just turned the Sunday glasses over and glued the plate to the bottom of the glass it made really cute mini cake stands and the 6 in cake fit perfect I used the silicon clear glue for glass (about $3.00) each cake stand cost about $2.50 each just and idea plus I had glue left over to make more
Molly

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 48

I have seen them use the candle pillars and put little mirrors on top for a classy look... the pillars had little dangly things on them also... looked kinda cute.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:30pm
post #12 of 48

I've done a mini-cake stand using a stemmed cordial glass and a small candle plate (not a votive holder, but an actual little plate). Both were from the $1 store, as were the doilies I found for them. I even put those little glass accent beads or whatever you call them, in the cordial glass, to match the colors the bride was using.

I wish to high heaven I'd managed to get a pic of those! They turned out really cute! icon_smile.gif

Just a thought!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:30pm
post #13 of 48

Hit the Dollar Store ! You'll find a ton of things in there !

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 48

What about Vases, or decorative glassware from Michaels. They have all different heights they should be wide enough. Plus you could fill the inside with flowers, or some color to match.

Mike

FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 48

Thanks for the ideas.. I am really looking to not have to make something. Not that I am not creative and COULD make it.. but I really just would love to buy something and not have to glue and all that. I was looking in the candle section and didn't see anything I liked.. I am looking for something like in this picture. http://www.brides.com/weddingstyle/cakes/gallery/editorspick/detail/105752?f=592%3a595&offset=4

I just love the little stands and I don't want to rent them like was done for this photo.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 48

oh how cute those are... if you find them to order .. finda me a couple also icon_biggrin.gif

mommy2djb Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:07pm
post #17 of 48

oh those are so sweet! i will continue my searching, and i'll let you know if i find anything! icon_wink.gif

mommy2djb Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:16pm
post #18 of 48

I keep going back and looking at the link you posted. How big do you think those little cakes are? I've only done mini's once, and I cut them out of sheet cake with round cookie cutters. I assume there's a much easier way, but that is how I did it.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 48

I have recently purchase several that would work for you.

First, I ordered all three white cake stands offered at ABC Distributing, http://www.abcdistributing.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg3.asp?G=557&P=50&Rec=2&Ntt=cake+stand&N=35&Nao=0&R=365068-6OM4AQA2. I hadn't paid attention to the dimensions and was surprised to find them smaller than expected, but then I thought how perfect the two smaller ones would be for miniature cakes.

Second, I don't know if you have a Tuesday Morning closeouts store in your area, but I was looking for cake stands and found the cutest little crystal stands. They are marketed as candy dishes or compotes, but the plate area is flat and the edge is rounded upward. I think I paid maybe $6 each. I love digging through all the stuff at closeout stores. In addition to Tuesday Morning, you can check the housewares sections at stores like Marshall's, Ross, TJMaxx, etc. Sometimes you can find some really good things for a small price.

FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #20 of 48

Those white ones would be great!! ANd I think there's a Tuesday Mornings in Boston.. I'll have to chek it out. icon_smile.gif Thank you so much!

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #21 of 48

Try www.etsy.com.

They usually have them.

FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #22 of 48

Oh.. and to answer mommy2djb

I'd think they are 1-2-3 or 2-3-4 in sizes. I love them and want to make some so badly.. so I think if I have a cute way to display them for a bride she might be more inclined to order. I would do them the same way you did too.. bake a sheet.. torte and fill and chill and use cutters.. much easier than dealing with baking teeny cakes IMHO.. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #23 of 48

the first thing I thought of are the small cheese pedestals. Sometimes they come with a glass dome you know??? Those would be perfect for minis!

mommy2djb Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #24 of 48

I have a bride that inquired about mini cakes, but I have no idea how to price them. I mean, it's only one serving. But my usual price per serving is $3 - $5, and I don't see me making 150 of those for only $5 a piece. That's a lot of work and teeny tiny detailing with the flowers, etc. What do you think?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #25 of 48

http://www.chinawholesalegift.com/Handicraft-Artworks/Glass-Crafts/Glass-Cake-Stand-155833993.htm

I'm not sure if this will help you any....but....

I bought some vintage cut glass coasters and ashtrays from various flea markets and ebay and also separately bought some candle holders(both,votive and stick type)...I got lucky with some...they actually coordinated nicely together. I got some clear glass glue(some is permanent even through the dishwasher)...and made several different sizes...some, are flat as can be on the bottom and when turned over, give a nice drop down edging.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/52155/monogrammed_cupcake.jpg

FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #26 of 48

Minis are a LOT of work.. I start them at $15 each and that is a singe tier. Ones like in that picture.. no less than $25 each.. probably $30. That's a LOT of work with all of the flowers and such. I'm sure that Cheryl Kleinman charged bank for them too.

mommy2djb Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #27 of 48

You bet she did! The tag next to the photo you posted said $35 each! icon_eek.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #29 of 48

http://www.worldmarket.com/Cake-Stand/lev/4/productId/291/Ntt/cake%20stand/Ntx/mode+matchallpartial/Ntk/Def/N/0/Nty/1/Ssr/Y/index.pro

The website list only the 10" and 12", but there is also a 6", I think it was $7 at the local store I bought my 12" from.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #30 of 48

http://www.jafgifts.com/frmItem.aspx?ItemCode=62048

It was the only thing I could find that looked about right for what you're looking for. icon_razz.gif

but now that I've seen a decided lack in this area, maybe I'll go get some supplies and play around, maybe put some up on etsy, if I get some decent ones made. icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the inspiration! icon_smile.gif Good luck with your hunt!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%