Cake Fell To Pieces

Decorating By eeyorebaker Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 12:46am by wgoat5

eeyorebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eeyorebaker Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 15

I have agreed to make a cake for a work function. It's 16x16 square. When I flipped it out of my pan, the entire middle fell out!! I have attempted to put the pieces back, and it seems to be filled in about 90% accurate. Would you start over or try to hide it with icing? I really don't want to start over, but want it to be presentable, both inside and out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

14 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 15

Was it completely baked? Did you flip it out of the pan while still hot?

I might try to disguise it with icing if it is in fact totally baked. However, since it's for work, maybe not. I would not want to be constantly reminded about a less than perfect cake by the people I work with.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 15

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you! That has happened to me once before too... I started over. Just my personal oppinion...

Good luck with however you decide to fix it!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 15

This is probably a stupid question, but you did have a heat core in the cake while baking right? If not I would guess the problem is that the center was not fully cooked. I would start again, since the cake is for people you see on a daily basis.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 15

I would start over, or sculpt it into something icon_biggrin.gif . Did you put a cooling rack over it while you flipped?

Mike

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 15

I'd keep te broken one for myself, make a trifle with it or something, and do it over. If you have time.

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 15

If I didn't have time I would try to hide it with frosting or make two smaller squares.

Do you feel comfortable explaining what happened? This way when it is cut and less than perfect thy will know what to expect and congratulate you on how wonderful it looks and tastes dispite it all.

If you don't feel comfoprtable and are worried, even in the slightest, that you might not be able to live this down with some of your co-workers then I agree with the other posters-- start over.

P.S. no matter what I always put a small square of parchment paper in the center of the cake pan because I have had it happen to me and it always seemed to happen when I have the least amount of time to do something about it. I just don't take the chance anymore.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

I would start over, or sculpt it into something icon_biggrin.gif . Did you put a cooling rack over it while you flipped?

Mike

That was my first thought, too.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 15

oh my good ness thats a lot of cake batter to have to remake.

I vote for a change of plans, find a way you can still use the cake.

maybe make an ice cream cake if you can keep it frozen at work. layers of cake and icecream will hide some of the damage and the frozen ice cream will hold it all together.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 15

I would start over. I know that's a lot of cake to make but I wouldn't feel right about trying to patch it back together.

What if you make something else, like Mike suggested and use the rest to make cake balls with and take them along to the function. Who knows maybe you will get orders not only for cake but for cake balls as well?

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 15

It's a Redo.

Sometimes trying to fix a thing takes twice as long.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 15

I'd redo....since it's for work. Besides, I just LOVE the cake balls I make out of scraps from my mistakes with the Amaretto icing......any excuse works for me to eat those.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 15

I know this is a little too late, but for larger cakes and when I'm baking for weddings, I always line with parchment paper, just in case!! If one little spot sticks it can ruin the whole cake!! I make my own pan grease and they are usually fine, but I like the extra assurance!

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 15

what an aggravating mess. so sorry for you

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:46am
post #15 of 15

great excuse for cake balls!!!!

If it were just a little piece.. I'd piece it together but... since you said a bunch fell out I would redo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%