Decpac Question

Decorating By shanasweets Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm by sari66

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:55am
post #1 of 4

I have seen these advertised in american cake decorating mag. I am looking at starting legal buisiness when I move. I am having some problems finding prices on web site. (they are closed at this moment). Has anyone used them, how are there prices.

My understanding is you can use there stuff to sell licensed copyrighted material, because your paying extra cost, they have worked it out with the companies. Is this correct. They only deal with business.

Anyone use them, is it worth it, esp to sell copyrighted material legally. thanks for the help.

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:12am
post #2 of 4

There is a recent thread in the archives on this subject.

I do not sell cakes, but if I did I would definitely look into using their products.

Let's face it, almost every 5 year kid (and some adults) wants a character cake for his/her birthday. If you plan on doing a lot of children's birthday cakes, then I would suggest that you contact them when you are licensed.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:19am
post #3 of 4

I work in a commercial bakery so cannot speak for home decorators. We use the Decopac toys all the time. It probably accounts for 75% of our sales. To me it is the only way around the copyright laws. Their prices vary according to how many you order. The prices aren't the same for all of them either. They vary from $3. to $4. each. We charge our customers an extra $6.00 for them and raised our prices yesterday to an extra $8.00. The kids love them because they have a toy to play with afterwards and kids aren't so fascinated with a cake which is 100% edible.
I know the customer base for home decorators are people who are looking for something more than the standard decorated cake so they may prefer to have the decorations all made from edible product. If they insist on a copy right design, this is a way to do it legally.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 4

I have a legal home cakery and have a decopac account you have to have a fed tax id and they just added a fee for home based delivery. The prices are pretty good and I charge an upcharge to use them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%