Floral Garland With Plastic Flowers?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm by Misdawn

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 9

Ok cake divas and dudes...I need your help. I need to figure out how to make and attach a floral garland. I am making a 3 tier wedding cake due on the 28th. It sour cream cake with pineapple filling. It will be covered in MMF. I got the flowers from the grrom's mother and they are plastic. How do I make a garland with these? (I was told they would be silk flowers.) Furthermore...how do I attach the garland to the cake without tearing the cake up?

8 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #2 of 9

. . . are you able to post a photo . . . maybe we will have a better idea of what you're looking for . . .

Misdawn Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 9

Here ya go!
LL

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 9

Does it HAVE to be a garland? Can't you just attach the flowers where you think they'll look nice? Turning them into a garland sounds unnecessary to me. If she just wants them to swirl around the cake as though they were on a garland, just place them on the cake individually. If they're plastic, i but you can cut the stems and poke them in. On a garland, perhaps if one flower falls, it will take a bunch with it!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #5 of 9

There's no reason to make a garland if you stick the flowers in individually and they are close to each to each other.

No one will be able to tell until they have to take them off for cutting.

Hmm. Maybe that's why they requested a garland so the flowers can be removed quickly and easily.

It might be a good idea to ask them why they want a garland specifically.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:08am
post #6 of 9

IMHO plastic flowers are kind of tacky. Do you think you could talk them into getting a small garland of fresh flowers for the top tier and just place ribbon on the lower tiers?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #7 of 9

Those do not look like "plastic" flowers.... they look silk or SOME kind of fabric.....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:59am
post #8 of 9

Those don't look too bad as far as fake flowers go.

The easiest way to make a garland would be to go to Hobby Lobby and buy one that was already made for about $5, then pull the flowers off of it (or just get one that is greenery only) and then add your flowers to it, just tape their stems to the main strand with floral tape. You can cut the stems down with a pair of needle-nose pliers...that's what the little flat parts toward the middle are for icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 9

It doesn't neccessarily have to be a garland. I'm trying to figure out how to mmake these flowers cascade down and around the side of the cake without tearing the fondant apart. I've never done a floral cascade on a fondant cake before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%