Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By scotiascrapper Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm by yummymummy

scotiascrapper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scotiascrapper Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 3

I apologize in advance because I'm sure that this has been discussed several times already...

If I use Hi Ratio shortening in my recipe, do I have to make any adjustments to the recipe??

Also, what are the advantages of Hi Ratio?? I just noticed that my Bulk Barn sells it and it got me thinking....

2 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 3

You can use less of it than the amount of "regular" shortening that the recipe calls for. As an example - I use 3/4 c of hi-ratio Sweetex in a recipe that calls for 1 c shortening. I've read posts where some people even cut it down to 1/2 c per 1 c called for in the original recipe. Might take some trial and error for what you prefer.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 3

I've exchanged equal amounts of Crisco for high ratio in Sugarshack's BC. I don't notice a huge difference in taste or texture IMHO, so I've switched back to Crisco since it's more readily available to me and costs a lot less since I have to have high ratio shipped to me. I also notice that my icing crusts better w/ Crisco. It wouldn't crust at all with high ratio...and I used the exact same recipe. I'm not sure if that had anything to do w/ the shortening or not, but since I was using all the same ingredients and all I changed was the shortening, I found it interesting. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%