Just Wondering.. Is There A Forum Or Place To Sell Things?

Decorating By rudoo Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm by Texas_Rose

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering... Is there a forum or place where we can sell items? Such as books. Thanks

13 replies
GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 14

Not that I know of but sounds like a great idea! E-bay would probably be your best bet.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 14

From what I understand that is not allowed here on CC or at least "advertising" yourself. BUT.......if you need to get rid of some of your supplies because you don't want them anymore just because of this topic, people can pm you to find out what you have.

Of course now a moderator here on CC will answer this question according to the actual rules pertaining to your question.

Amy

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 14

I would love to know about this too (just thinking the same thing this morning). I have an over abundance of character cake toppers because I buy them in bulk. I wanted to unload some of them. I didn't know if that was a cake central no no. I am sure they don't want it turning into cake central ebay on here.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 14

Jackie and Heath can not regulate any of the transactions that take place because of CC if we start doing them from person to person.

It is suggested and encouraged to set up on ebay and then put a link on yoru signature (will show up on every post you have on the boards, past and present)

It is discouraged to make a post specifically telling people about the items you have on ebay.

I recently had items listed and put it in my signature ( a lot of people read those!!) and the stuf sold for quite a bit higher than I thought they would with the extra traffic.

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 14

I was also wonder this - since I too have alot of wilton cake pans that are retired and in excellent shape - along with cake supplies and books I would like to sell. I don't want alot for them and if I sell them on ebay it will cost the buyer more - just so I can cover ebay costs.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 14

Once in a while at ICES days of sharing they have a "decorator to decorator" theme where you can bring your stuff and sell to other decorators.

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 14

I would love to see a "trading post" type forum here. I don't have alot of supplies and I am not familiar enough with everything to know exactly what I want, so being able to buy used from someone else would be wonderful for me! Could something like a "for sale or trade" forum be implemented?

So, I guess barring a recognized forum...go ahead and pm me if you have any books, pans, decorating tools, cookie cutters, impression mats, ect for sale. :p

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Once in a while at ICES days of sharing they have a "decorator to decorator" theme where you can bring your stuff and sell to other decorators.

Does anyone know how to check for these Themed ICES Days of Sharing events? Also, will the ICES Convention at Disney in Florida have something like this? I assume the vendor area is for shops. Any help or suggestions on selling excess cake pans and supplies would be greatly appreciated.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:22am
post #10 of 14

Advertising in the forums is not allowed on Cake Central. You cannot create a forum topic saying that you have items for sale and ask members to PM you. This is just not what Cake Central is about.

Ebay is definitely the best place to sell cake decorating items. Their market is biggest you will find anywhere and their fees are actually quite small.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:33am
post #11 of 14

It seems too bad that you can't do it on CC, it would be great to offer up your cake goodies to members of your own community. But then when you think about it it really makes sense: Although "we're all friends here" it would be difficult to ensure that people who were JUST sellers didn't just start up CC accounts so that they could "go into business" on this site. KWIM?

I think leily's suggestion is a great compromise!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

It seems too bad that you can't do it on CC, it would be great to offer up your cake goodies to members of your own community. But then when you think about it it really makes sense: Although "we're all friends here" it would be difficult to ensure that people who were JUST sellers didn't just start up CC accounts so that they could "go into business" on this site. KWIM?

I think leily's suggestion is a great compromise!

Think of it this way, if advertising were allowed, then the forums and galleries would become nothing but advertisements. For example, "oh hey, I can help you with your cake stacking problem, buy my new cake stacking system." The galleries would have pictures of cakes with comments about how they used this item (which they sell) to make the cake.

It would open up a whole new can of worms and take away from the community that helps one another and shares with one another just because they want to and not because they want to sell you something. Cake decorating buddies would become potential customers and that definitely changes everything in ways I personally would not like.

I love the atmosphere here and hope it will always stay this way.

A little note about Ebay and selling cake decorating supplies. I'm sort of an Ebay cake decorating expert. I am constantly watching cake decorating supplies and their going prices on Ebay. I have sold and purchased quite a bit there. Ebay has quite a hopping cake decorating market as I am sure other members here can attest to. I once sold a vintage cake pan for over $60 and have seen some popular ones go for as much as $160. That said, most cake decorating equipment, even some pans that are 30 years old and especially used equipment does not have much value. In other words, it is easier to buy it new from a reliable cake decorating supply store than try to purchase it used or from someone you don't really know. That has been my experience.

I hope this helps put everything into perspective a little more.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 14

Yep KathysCC, that's actually what I meant, although I realize my statement "But then when you think about it it really makes sense" is a little ambiguous.

I meant that when you think about it, the policy as it is makes sense, for exactly the reasons you describe! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 14

If you're looking to sell locally, craigslist is a good place to do it...either in the household or the arts and crafts section. Expect people to try to bargain, though or even to email asking for stuff for free, and don't hesitate to say no.

The only problem with buying used, execpt for stuff like character pans, is that most of us don't get rid of stuff if it works well...so for people trying to get started with decorating tools, it would be better to read about what works well (and there are so many opinions here) and then buy new.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%