Need Idea For Different Top

Decorating By Alice1230 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm by playingwithsugar

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing the grooms cake for my husbands cousin and his wife to be has given me the picture of this cake

http://www.pat-t-cakes.com/Gallery-Grooms/ShowGrooms.php?cakenum=grooms-choc_tux

Shes not crazy about the top and I am having a creative block today. I do know she wants more tuxedo strawberries. But I don't know if putting more on the top would be too over the top!?

She also hates fondant, so do you think it would work ok if I iced the cake in white buttercream and then used chocolate fondant for the tuxedo accents? Also do you think the bow ties are are dried fondant?

Thanks for the help in advance

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 8

As far as the cake, I think in that picture it's buttercream with fondant accents. You could do it all buttercream except for the bows, which are dried fondant. A good option is candy clay.

As for the top, you could leave out the "grass" looking stuff and just put more tuxedo strawberries on top.

Alice1230 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 8

I had thought about doing it all in buttercream (except for the bows) but is there an easy way to fill it in and make it really smooth. I dont know if I am comfortable doing this. I know I can get the white buttercream smooth and then add choc fondant on top. I am worried that the fondant might peel off though......any thoughts?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 8

Decorators use rolled fondant on BC all the time, so I see no problem there.

My thoughts on the top were to make a tuxedo strawberry bouquet by skewering the strawberries right after the last layer of chocolate was applied, and all was still soft.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Alice1230 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 8

Oooooooooooo...i like the bouquet idea! Thanks

Amanda1791 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda1791 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 8

As far as the accents, if she hates fondant, you could always use chocolate modeling clay like karateka said. I think it's easier to work with then most fondant anyways.

Alice1230 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 8

where can I get that at?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 8

You make it. Look up chocolate clay in the recipe section here at CC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%