Cake Baking

Decorating By jenjustjay Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm by gottabakenow

jenjustjay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjustjay Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 6

when baking a 9x13 cake--or i guess any cake-- how can i keep it from being so uneven after baking?? my last cake one corner was much smaller/shorter than the others. before putting in the oven i make sure it was even in the pan.
please help!!!!

5 replies
moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

I've had this problem and so I started tapping (banging!) my pans flat on the counter a few times before I put them into the oven. Also, use a carpenter's level and check that your oven is properly leveled.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 6

I use those bake even strips. I got them from Michaels. Yous soak them in water and then wrap them around the pan before baking. I think it is supposed to keep the sides of the cake from cooking faster than the middle, so it bakes with an even top. I really like them...works pretty good. Also, are you tapping the pan to release air bubbles?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 6

Bake Even strips, flower nail in the center & a smart bang on the counter top.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 6

welcome to CC!

how to use the flower nail- grease it completely, place it in the middle of the pan with the flat part down, and pour the batter in. when the cake is done, flip it out and take the nail out- only one small hole.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 6

oh by the way- what the flower nail does is it conducts the heat towards the middle of the pan, helping the middle to bake at the same rate as the outside, preventing doming and browned edges. the bake even strips do the same thing.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%