Cakes Flat And Full Of Holes

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm by fearlessbaker

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a bridal shower cake due this sunday. It is a mocha chocolate fudge cake. I used a 10 inch round pan with 2 cups of batter in each pan ( I made four). Each layer came out flat as a pancake and full of air holes. I measured all ingredients exactly right and beat it for 2 mintues with a timer like it said. I have made this cake before and it was perfect. I don't know if I should start over if I don't know what the problem was becasue it might happen again. Four thin layers can look torted which is fine but will it taste okay? This is a betty crocker chocolate fudge cake mix with oil, water, 2 tablespoons cold coffee) and four eggs to each box. Does anyone know why one day this worked fine and today it is a disaster....HELP???

2 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 3

I normally use 12 cups batter for a 10" cake. This will give you 3 cups per pan if you use 4 pans.

I find it a lot easier to bake 2 2" layers and torte, the way youre doing it takes perfect timing to prevent over cooking the cakes.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 3

i don't know why it wouldn't taste ok. If I have a feeling something is wrong with my cake like underbaked, dry etc. I take the apple corer and take out a piece from the middle to test. Make sure that the cake is cooled though so that you get a true taste. Just fill the little hole up with your filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%