I Don't Know How I Am Going To Pull This One Off!

Decorating By delaware Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 3:26am by Kaybaby

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 33

This is a last minute order. The bride would like this cake. She has only given me two weeks notice.

Anyway...I was looking at this picture. It is hard to tell because it is small. The scroll work on the third layer...looks like maybe fondant to me. Has anyone ever seen a cutter that looks like that? I've been looking but so far I haven't found anything and I don't really have an abundance of time to "shop".

Please help. Any advice you can give me on this cake would be appreciated.[/img]
LL

32 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 33

You're right, it is difficult to see with certainty, but it looks like all stenciling to me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 33

you may not get the exact pattern, but i think that the damask stencils from www.designerstencils.com would work

http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DS&Product_Code=C401&Category_Code=CSIDES

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 33

Oh my goodness that is beautiful...I saved it to my desktop and tried to zoom in on it and it got pretty grainey but it looks to be one of those patterns that you can print and lay on the fondant...I have seen an add for something like it in ACD mag...or maybe you could pipe it on?? Just thought I would try to help even though its not much. icon_smile.gif

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 33

looks like stencil on top of fondant!!! you can do it!!! good luck!!!

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 33

I agree that it looks like one of those transfer sheets that I've seen advertised (is it Luck's that carries them?).

What a beautiful cake! Good luck!

tnt320to Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnt320to Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 33

It kind of looks like those chocolate transfer sheets to me.

delaware Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 33

Are there any other great places to get stencils other than designer stencils. I've never used a stencil before....it looked easy...is it really as easy as it looks???

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 33

It's hard to see but I think you can use an stensil or a mat and then pipe it with RI. Good Luck!!!!

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 33

My guess is that it is chocolate transfers. A month or so ago, AmericanCake Decorating magazine had a cake similar to this and they explained how to do it and it was chocolate transfers.

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 33

I just copied the pic into word and blew it up. You can get it to a decent size and trace it onto parchement paper if you want to then stencil it on the cake.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 33

Small world!! I am decorating a wedding cake for tomorrow based off of the same cake. My bride wanted this exact cake. Her original decorator had to back out last month due to hand surgery -- and luckily she had already told the bride that she couldn't do the exact design (saved me the heartache of telling her). So while looking through pictures of cakes and books that I had she pieced together 4 coordinating tiers to design her cake along the same theme as this one.

Good luck!!

staceyboots Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #13 of 33

delaware

the only other source that i know of is www.culinarystencils.com. however, i believe that they sell most of the stencils that designerstencils sells.

did you check out the how-to page on the site?

here is the link

http://www.designerstencils.com/videos.shtml

oh..there was a decorator who used one of the stencils on a purse cake...i will see if i can find it...you could try asking her for advice on how she used the stencil

staceyboots Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 33

here is the photo of the cake using the damask stencil...the pattern was applied using royal icing

the cake was done by cakeconfections
LL

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #15 of 33

You will only need to stencil, you wont have to do any piping. Follow the link Staceyboots posted & you can't go wrong.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #16 of 33

that is a beautiful design, although I think you could easily do one similar with a damask stencil.

I think it would be pretty to do one similar but only use the stencil on alternating tiers and then the other ones solid white with the black ribbon at the base of the tier and maybe a swiss dot pattern if you wanted more interest.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #17 of 33

in the ineterst of saving time you can actually use any type of stensil.

they have plenty at joanns and micheals and for much cheaper than the cake stensils. just be sure if you have to reposition the stensil to get all the way around the cake that you let the RI on the tier dry before you move onto the next section or you risk smudging, and that would be a nightmare black on white.

I have seen damask stencils at Michaels in the craft painting section but Joanns has some also in the quilting section

this isn't damask but it has a nice square rosette and a fleur de lis for less than $3.00 (edited b/c I originally wrote $43.00)
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2992&PRODID=xprd76777

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #18 of 33

Here is a similar cake I did in buttercream from this picture. The only stencil I used was a ribbon cutter for the bottom edge of the lace. The rest is free hand. You could use cookie cutters or cardboard to help you indent a pattern.
LL
LL

staceyboots Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #19 of 33

i love the scrollwork on the bottom tier!!!

delaware Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #20 of 33

First of all I would like to say a BIG, GIANT, THANK YOU to all of you generously helped me with advice for this cake. I decided to try the stencils. I couldn't find anything that really looked like the picture so I made my own. Using the stencil was very easy. I did the lace detailing freehand. I was pleased with the way the whole cake turned out. It is not exactly like the David's Bridal cake, but it is the best I could do. Here are some pics...
LL
LL

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:00am
post #21 of 33

delaware.. JUST BEAUTIFUL !!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #22 of 33

Wow! It turned out gorgeous! I think it looks better then the other one!

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #23 of 33

Wow!!!
I love how it turned out!
Amazing!
Mind sharing how you used the stencils (what is the black?)
And what and how you made your own stencils?

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #24 of 33

wow, that is just beautiful. the bride must have just been thrilled that you could do a cake like that on short notice. lovely

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #25 of 33

WOW! You did an AMAZING job!! Awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #26 of 33

WOW! You did an AMAZING job!! Awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #27 of 33

Is their an alternative to the cocoa butter color she uses in the video?

Vonda

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #28 of 33

You did a fabulous job. The cake looks wonderful.

Kaybaby Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #29 of 33

duplicate - sorry

Kaybaby Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #30 of 33

duplicate - sorry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%