Help!!! Stacking Off Center Cakes!!!

Decorating By ashcake Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm by ashcake

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

My SIL wants an extravagant cake for her birthday. I know she was just joking about this cake, but I wanted to make a minature using 3 teirs. I have done 2 stacked cakes before, but they were placed in the middle of the cake. This one will be off stacked. It will also be traveling 3 hours, I can assemble there if needed. But any how. Where do I put my dowell rods for support? Can anyone help me?!?!?!

I have attached 2 pictures. The first is the closest thing I could do to "try" to show what I'm wanting to do. The second one is the cake my SIL was joking about. I don't know where she found it. I am doing all of these out of 6" round. Like I said a minature of this cake. We had 1 SIL's cake last night, and I'm taking the other 2 SIL's birthday cake on vacation with us, so there is plenty of cake!

TIA!!!
LL
LL

5 replies
moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 6

You're going to need dowels to support wherever each cake sits upon the next, but you'll also need one long dowel to go from top to bottom. You need to purchase one of the foam boards so that the long dowel can be tapped into the board to support the cakes. If you can assemble on-site then that's what I'd do. Don't forget to take along some icing in a bag and some extra fondant of each color to make repairs if needed.

Very cool cake design, but lots of work! Good Luck!!

ashcake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I will defently take extra icing and fondant. I would like to assemble it all before we leave and then take it apart. That way I already have the long dowell rod cut, the smaller ones already in the cake.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 6

i am really no expert in this at all, but the 8 year old I babysit is studying balance at school so this caught my eye.

you need a counter balance or the cake will fall over to the side with all the weight. maybe you could do the bottom tier an 8inch so it will be nice and heavy.

I am thinking of more overlap than your original circle drawing. if you overlap a bit more then you would be able to put a dowel down through the top all the way to the bottom, usually called a center dowel but not centered in this case.

I think with plenty of doweling you could certainly do this. are you planning on covering the cakes in fondant? if you are going to use BC then consider doing a very light sponge cake for the top tier to minimize the weight issue. and a heavy pound cake for the bottom to be your "counter weight"

ashcake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

Well I made the cake. Changed the overall color scheme and used flowers instead of circles. I have learned a lot from this. I know I need to buy more cookie cutters! LOL. I tried making red MMF. But you see how it turned out. Does anyone have any good hints for making MMF red? TIA!
LL

ashcake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 6

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%