Fondant Palm Trees

Decorating By mooredeb1 Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 6:12am by sugarshack

mooredeb1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooredeb1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 4

icon_confused.gif I am trying to make a 3 d cake(jungle theme) for my daughters baby shower. the baby animals are real cute, but having a little prob with the palm trees! I can't find pretzel rods anywhere to make the tree trunk , so I am going to use gumpaste. Any body have any ideas!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 4

because the 'trunk' has to support the leaves, I would use a cookie stick to support it.

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:37am
post #3 of 4

I am in the middle of making palm trees. I have the trunk finished, and I will be making the leaves soon. Can somebody tell me how they go about doing the leaves and attaching them to the trunk? Thanks so much!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:12am
post #4 of 4

the palm tree on top of the cake in my phoots was made with a bubble tea straw wrapped with fondant/tylose that I just scored up with a knife. The palm leaves were just pieces of the same thing in green, notched along the sides and dried over formers or on foil. I used melted choc to attach the leaves on the top of the trunk. I was pressed for time, so that was a quicky way. It would look better if you wired each palm leaf and then wired them all together in a bundle. You could stick all the taped wires down into the bubble tea straw, or instead you could wire the leaves along side a wooden dowel, then cover your trunk with fondant and score it.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%