? About Flowers On Wire

Decorating By alabamadecorator Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 4:28am by wgoat5

alabamadecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alabamadecorator Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 11

I was wondering the best way, or if anyone knows exactly how to put flowers or butterflies on wire. Where they stick up on the cake. I have tried it several times and i dont know if am using strong enough wire or what. Also, the flowers dont stay on the wire either. So any tips would be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif Thanks

10 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 11

What kind of flowers/butterflies? If gumpaste then push the wire in after you've made it and leave it to dry (if you make a small hook at the end it tends to stay in better) when you pick it up it should stay, I did some flowers on a cake (in my pics) and my wire wasn't strong enough and just bent under the weight so I curled them on skewers and it makes them alot stronger icon_smile.gif
Also to keep them in the cake I read a good tip here to wind the end round an inch or so of bamboo skewer and then insert that into the cake, it worked for me!
HTH's icon_smile.gif

dennishaskins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennishaskins Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 11

you do want to get a heavy gauge wire to start with, i always assemble the flowers on the wire, reinforce them on the back with some extra gumpaste and water, and let then dry fully before assembling the petals. if you are using a cutter to make a full flower you would just want to inforce it on the wire while its still wet, then allow it to dry. for the butterflies, i would build the body on the wire and use very very thin gumpaste or even chocolate to make the wings, that way you can attach them after the body and wings are dry. hope this helps.

alabamadecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alabamadecorator Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 11

Ok Thanks a bunch , i will try that.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 11

It really helps to dip the hook end of the wire into some egg white or meringue powder mixed with water before you put the fondant or gumpaste on.

The most important thing when you're making flowers on wire is patience...something I have problems with icon_biggrin.gif but it really helps to make the centers and let them dry overnight on the wire before you add the petals. Also, some things need to dry hanging upside down. The easiest way to do that is to get one of those little wire racks that goes in the cupboard and just hook the wires over it.

Also, get a few different gauges of wire so that you have the right strength for whatever you're doing right then...the very thin wire is good for a petal that has a piece of wire inside of it, but that wire won't support anything.

When I put wires into a cake, I wrap the ends of the wire with floral tape and stick them in a drinking straw, then push the straw into the cake.

ainsleyandmatthewmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ainsleyandmatthewmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #6 of 11

I've never tried this before, but I just had to add, YOU LADIES ARE AMAZING!!! I'm still new to CC, but my goodness, I've learned so much already. icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #7 of 11

I dip mine in gumglue (tylose powder and water)

OR

I heat the end of the wire and stick it in the gumpaste or fondant hot... and it adheres itself icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #8 of 11

I have never dipped my wired in anything, but I will now. I can't tell you the number of times I've had my decorations slide down the wires!

wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #9 of 11

nothing makes me madder (wd? LOL) then a slipping flower GRRR

Keep a candle lit.... when you are ready for your embellishment to go on a wire... let your wire heat up a little and stick the curved end in the piece icon_smile.gif

let it set for a second and voila icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:24am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

nothing makes me madder (wd? LOL) then a slipping flower GRRR

Keep a candle lit.... when you are ready for your embellishment to go on a wire... let your wire heat up a little and stick the curved end in the piece icon_smile.gif

let it set for a second and voila icon_smile.gif

That's a great idea!!!

Thanks icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I'm going to try it tonight icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:28am
post #11 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif

Tell me how ya like doing it.. it's just soooo easy..

especially if you are like me and forget to remake the gumglue GRRR LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%