Check-In For Those In The Flood Zones...

Decorating By CoutureCake Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 3:46am by leily

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:27am
post #1 of 3

I'm looking at all the flooding going on in Southern WI, Western IL, Southern MN and IA wondering if all of our CCers are up on the high ground or if they're working on their Noah's Arch yet????

I've driven through most of the areas that have gotten flooded out and it's like "wow!" to think that a lot of those places are either destroyed or completely gone in some cases.

Of course, the worst is that in about 3-6 weeks we're going to be hearing about flooding down south caused by all of these floods up north.

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 3

Well in my neck of the woods you can't go more than 10-15 miles west without going about 2- 2 1/2 hrs north first. The two rivers to the west of me are already 2'-5' above the '93 levels (worst that anyone can remember) they are saying that in my are the levels are going to get to a 500-year flood level... but no one knows for sure yet what that level is.

There are places about 45 minutes south of me that can't go west or east without going north 3 hrs (to go west) or 1 hr north (to go east)

We had people go home from work yesterday at 10am b/c they were closing more roads (even interstate 80 is closed for at least 3 days) and they wouldn't not have been able to get home without a 4hr plus commute.

The bad thing is that on the east side of us (the mississippi) it is suppose to go up pretty quick also... but the crest prediction keeps rising by 1-2 ft every day. No one knows how much more rain we will be getting in the next 4-5 days and without knowing that every thing is a guess.

I can't believe what Parkersburg and NewHartford are going through this month. First the tornado and earlier this week over 80% of New Hartford was evacuated due to flooding... a lot went to Cedar Falls or Waterloo with family and then were evacuated again b/c of flooding there.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:46am
post #3 of 3

I just wanted to share this site by the Iowa DOT. They are putting up photos of the flood damaged areas around the state.

They have one of I-80 showing the water going over. Now notice how much water is there compared to the size of the people and vehicles..... The best part?!? This is over 1/2 mile away from the actual river the water is coming from! Typically in this area (even in '93) the water doesn't go past 1/4 mile in this direction away from the river.

Absolutely crazy what is going on.

We're going out tomorrow to stock up on food that can be b/c there are already so many delays in items getting to the area with so many roads blocked by the flood. Hopefully we'll catch it before they raise the prices even more.

http://iowadot.gov/floods/2008gallery.html

This also shows quite a few from Vinton (which we currently have a CC member stuck there with it effecting their home)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%