Am I Insane, Or Will This Work?>

Decorating By brittanydear Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 6:09am by ceshell

brittanydear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittanydear Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:06am
post #1 of 2

So, my question is this. I am thinking about making a cake filled with a bavarian cream and strawberries, and then iced with whipped cream. The whipped cream recipe I am thinking about using is the Real Old Fasioned Whipped Cream recipe from the cake bible (it is like regular whipped cream, but with a wee bit extra butter). So, how long do you think that this cake would stay in the fridge for before it got to looking yucky or weeping? It is for a party at my house, so I can just take it out a few minutes before, but how long will it keep in the fridge? Also , could I stack a cake like this (I am thinking one 8 inch, one 6 inch layer). Any tips you have would be so greatly appreciated. I am hoping to start making this soon!!
Brittany

1 reply
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:09am
post #2 of 2

I'm not familiar with that recipe, but I have used the Wilton Stabilized Whipped Cream recipe which holds up in the fridge fine for a couple of days. However due to the nature of whipped cream, just being a fresh product which is only stabilized a BIT (unlike the butter in BC icing which is stabilized by TONS of sugar) I do feel like it gets "less fresh" tasting as the days wear on. Is there any advice in TCB about how far the icing can be made in advance?

If it were me and the SWC recipe, I'd ice it the night before. You can always bake ahead and freeze if needed. I can't imagine why you couldn't stack this as long as you dowel your 8" cake and put the 6" on a cake board, make sure the dowels protrude just above the icing on the 8" cake so that your top tier doesn't smoosh the soft icing.

BTW your flavor combination sounds divine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%