Putting Fondant On A Cake And Cake Board...

Decorating By crl Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 3:52am by wgoat5

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 18

I tried 3 times today to cover a 6" cake with fondant. I can't figure out how to smooth the sides and get the bunches out. I even put my cake up on a coffee can so the fondant would hang down. Could it be that I am rolling the fondant too big?

The other thing I tried was to cover the cake board around the cake like on aine2's website. I did everything per her step by step instructions, but I could not get the fondant to wrap around the cake board. It either bunched up or tore.

Can anyone share their secrets for either of these issues?

17 replies
babyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyqueen Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #2 of 18

Well, I cover the cake board completely and then cut out a hole where the cake will sit.

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #3 of 18

First smooth the top with your hands, when you are doing the sides it's a scooping upward motion and then rub, scoop up and rub..... as far as the bunches you would gently straighten them and then scoop up and rub. The fondant shouldn't hang too much the weight of it may cause it to rip. It takes a lot of patience and time.... youtube search "applying fondant" there are a bunch of how to that will show you better than my words. Good Luck!! You can do it!! icon_biggrin.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #4 of 18

I took the plunge after seeing someone on CC talk about it in one of the forums and purchased the video " Flawless Fondant, A Step by Step Guide" by Sharon Zambito. Absolutely worth every penny I spent on it. She gives an hour and 39 minutes of instruction on the first disk and 40 minutes on the second. Sharon specifically shows you step by step how to cover the cake board with fondant, how to crimp it, etc. She uses a long strip of fondant to do it and it looks great!

Her website is www.sharonssugarshack.com

Check it out. If you want to make your cakes look handmade, instead of homemade, get the video. Worth it!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:45am
post #5 of 18

I cover my whole board... and if I want to do inlay dots or airbrush them I do that also.. I have yet to cut a hole in the fondant (on the board) to sit my cake down in... I just let it harden for about 30 minutes then decorate then sit the cake on the board... as I did on these cake boards...
LL
LL

lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 18

Are you going to share with us how you did your plaid cake board?... your cakes are fabulous!

wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 18

icon_smile.gif thank you Lutie icon_smile.gif

I made a template out of foam board... leaving the ends intact I just cut out strips...

I sprayed the board one way then turned it icon_smile.gif

easy peezy icon_smile.gif

lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 18

wgoat5, would you be willing to show us how you did these cake boards at the L'ville meeting in Sept? I think everyone would love to see how you do it. I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am with your cake decorating.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 18

well...when i cover a board in fondant I don't wrap the fondant around the board...I just cut off the edges up to the board! and then you wrap your board with a ribbon!

you know what...I can cover any shape cake BUT a round one...it's weird...sorry I can't help you there

wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 18

Thats what I do Steph icon_smile.gif ... I just lay the board over the rolled out fondant and cut around icon_smile.gif

I tell you a good way to practice covering is just getting a dummy and practicing... Boy do I need dummies ...

I have edged the board out with rope... ribbon .. tassels, buttons ... icon_smile.gif

Oh thank you Lutie and sure I'll do a demo but it really isn't hard.. people will look like Im silly or something lol

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 18

I'd recomend a video or a class to really see what's happening.

but keep in mind that you are stretching it into shape and not draping it like fabric (unless that's effect that you want icon_smile.gif )
as mentioned don't let the fondant hang off, the weight will pull and tear.
also try starting out with thicker fondant - 1/4 inch
this will give you more volume with which to stretch.
start at the top and smooth the top edge and work your way down, as you see pleats starting to form shift the fondant to straighten them out and smooth a little in that area.... just keep adjusting and smoothing...
just work like a 1/2 inch down at a time spiraling down to the bottom....

good luck,
maybe the ones that are better at it can help more. icon_lol.gif

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 18

Christi!! Those are incredible!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 18

Christi, people will never think you are silly, you are so good & everything you share with others is greatly appreciated.

wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:06pm
post #14 of 18

Thank you cheeseball icon_smile.gif That is soooo sweet.. unfortunately I wish I felt the same about my cakes icon_sad.gif lol.. I guess we all have some form of that though huh?

Jen... Do I need to come over and smack ya around? You do AWESOME work... can you teach me cookies? icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 18

Aww June thank you.. it's people like you guys that help people like me get a little more self confidence icon_smile.gif

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm
post #16 of 18

wgoat5--would you mind letting me know how you cut your foamcore so nicely. I tried with scissors and and an exacto knife (yeah, my blade was on the dull side, but I nearly lost a finger AND my board looked like it had been butchered!!) Thanks! icon_confused.gif

lutie Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #17 of 18

wgoat5: I have another question. When you said you cut out the strips, but you keep them "intact" ... it is late, and I am trying to picture this in my cluttered mind... do you make (for example: a 1" strip) the strips out of the foam board and lay them on top of the fondant in a "plaid" (for example) manner. Then do you airbrush the color or do you paint on gel or what? Your plaid is spectacular!

I am so looking forward to see how you do this. Honestly, this look is so different and stunning. Can you tell I am enamored with your cake(s)?

Thanks in advance.

wgoat5 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:52am
post #18 of 18

I don't mind answering questions at all icon_smile.gif

I cut my foam boards with a hot knife (found in the craft section.. sometimes the woodworking section of the hobby or craft store) It is a exacto with other attachments that get very hot. Cuts through foam board like butter icon_biggrin.gif

I hope that helps..

The stencil I made... what I did was draw out 1 inch strips on a foam board longer then what I would actually need... cut every other strip out.. making sure not to cut all the way to the end...
I lay that on the fondant covered board and spray with either a preval sprayer with luster/pearl dust OR a airbrush... then lay it the other way and spray again icon_smile.gif

I hope that explains it better icon_smile.gif

And thank you for your sweet comments icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%