Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting Not Crusting...help

Decorating By kristykgs Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 12:45am by kristykgs

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi again!!!

I printed out a few recipes from CC on Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting, and compared them. They all seem to be pretty similiar, so I chose one.

I put the crumb coat on, and let it sit for awhile, no crust. So I stuck in the refrig, thinking maybe this Louisiana heat and humidity is keeping it from crusting. Took it out of the fridge after about 10/15 min. Still no crust. Then I added more powdered sugar to the rest of icing, put it on cake and it still won't crust.

I am thinking that maybe it is the humidity and heat that is keeping it from crusting. Does anyone have any idea why the crusting cream cheese is not crusting????

Since it won't crust and in case no one has any reason as to why, how can I make it smooth and pretty? I've been trying and playing with the "hot" knife, but it is still leaving lines.

What have I got myself into ????? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 6

crusting is the result of the ratio between fat and sugar. The more fat, the less crusting.

My icing crusts very well and the ratio in mine is 1-1/3 cups crisco to 2 lbs of p.sugar. I can add milk to thin it and it still crusts fine.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 6

Have you tried adding alittle meragine(sp..sorry my minds blank on this spelling!) powder?

kristykgs Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 6

My ratio was 1/2 c crisco and 1/2 butter to 2lbs of powdered sugar, but I also had 2 8oz pck of cream cheese.

I finally resorted to putting it in the fridge and it has been in there for about 45 min's, and it starting to become hard. I think the humidity down here is not allowing it to crust. If that is the case, why does my BC crust great!!! HMMMM

I have not tried merangue powder yet, figured that would be next, but it seems to be doing okay in the fridge.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #5 of 6

Your ratio sounds good to me, so I'm going with the humidity as a factor.

kristykgs Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for responding,

I'm guessing that too. It does okay for about 5/10 min when I take it out of the frig, but after that, it starts to stick to the VIVA, so I have to work really quick, then put back in the frig.

Guess I'll do what works for now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%