How Do You Make Calla Lilies? I'm Confused.

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 1:30am by charlieinMO

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 23

I don't understand the tutorial. I must be missing something. They say to use the heart shape cutter, but the pictures look nothing like a heart. Does anyone have instructions on how to make calla lilies for Dummies, cuz I'm certainly feeling like a dummy for not understanding the tutorial? icon_lol.gif

22 replies
fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 23

Hey what tutorial ?? And never feel that way ! Were all here to learn ! I havent even seen the tutorial !! Thanks buddy !

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 23

I made mine in the shape of a football, and then wrapped then together more at one end than the other. Then I dried them by placing them inside 1" sections of pvc pipe with the ends hanging out so that they would dry more natural looking...I'm sure that explanation is clear as mud!

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 23

It's been awhile, I know what you mean. I used a heart cutter, but then trimmed it before shaping. By the time I was done it didn't really resemble a heart anymore, maybe closer to a teardrop.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 23

I have a very easy way of doing them..I might do a tutorial is fool proof!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 23

I used a cookie cutter also. The point part of the heart is the the opening of the flower. You over lap them and push the seam together and then gently make the opening a little bigger. The first ones I made were too thick. Don't think I posted the others but they turned out better. I used a paper towel cardboard roll and placed wax paper on it to dry them if you don't have a pvc pipe.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 23

I just copied the shape of the cutters (available at sugar craft) Then I printed them on paper and cut them out. I made 3 sizes and it worked great (see cake in my pics)

I don't quite understand the whole heart shaped cutter thing either.

Stephanei

Trixyinaz Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 23

Fiddle - I sent you a PM with the link to the tuturial. It's here on CC in the Articles section.

Edna - please do your tuturial. If yours is easy, I would love to try it.

Stephanie - phew, I thought I was missing something. Glad you didn't understand it either icon_lol.gif

Charlie - thanks for that explanation. Did you not trim the heart? The photo in the tuturial doesn't even resemble a heart and the pointy end doesn't even exist.

Marc - what parts did you trim? I guess that is where I'm confused and then how did you roll it?

Dolly - now I'm more confused icon_lol.gif

Off to go check ya'll's calla lillies.

charlieinMO Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 23

LOL. Sorry you are more confused!!! No I didn't trim any. I just folded it over and pressed together. I know, not much help huh? GOod luck though and let us know how it turns out!

Trixyinaz Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 23

Thanks Charlie! I will. I want to try them next week and if they come out good, then I think I will use them on one of the bridal shower cakes that I have to do in July. This is so much fun. I love creating. icon_lol.gif

charlieinMO Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 23

I wanted to show you this cake by ShirleyW so you could see a close up of the flower. This might help you picture how it works. She made a beautiful cake!

Trixyinaz Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 23

You are such a tease! Where is it? I found this video on how to make calla lillies this morning when looking for a tuturial on hibiscus flowers. They spelled calla "calle" which is why I couldn't find a video on it yesterday when I did a search. In case anyone wants to see them, here you go....

Part 1 - How to make a calle Lilly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XDNMpjU8zrA&feature=related

Part 2 - How to make a calle Lilly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=C2MIavkldzo&feature=related

charlieinMO Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 23
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 23

tonedna... Dont start teasing with a tutorial ! icon_lol.gif Im waiting for that purse one to ! But Of course will be happy with what ever you make up ! Is there anything you cant do ? icon_wink.gif And do beautiful to ! icon_smile.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 23

Calla Lilies are the easiest flowers to make...
Once you have the hang of it, it will be easy.

I did this two months ago:
LL

Mamaelf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamaelf Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 23

Thank you all so much, I have been struggeling trying to make
sense of that Wilton method for the Calla Lily. Glad to see I was
not the only one to find it confusing. Loved the link to youtube, that
truely is a lifesaver. I like how the edges come out so natural looking
and understand being able to make my own pattern. I have a wedding
cake for next weekend, so have my gum paste made, just was not
sure how to tackle the lilies. I learn so much better watching someone
else do it. So will be able to give it a try this evening.

I am so happy I found this site!! I think it is going to be a lifesaver. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 23

lol fiddlesticks.. Actually this one is easier than a whole cake!.. I can do this one easier!.. My problem is I dont have a video cam so I need to do something short ...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:55pm
post #18 of 23

Mamelfe - welcome and I'm glad you liked the video. I, too, learn so much better watching someone do it first. I can't wait to try it.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm
post #19 of 23

oooooohh i get how you do it. I didn't watch the video or anything, but looking at your pic, fondantgrl, it looks like you take a heart and roll the top corners in.

not explaining it right, but I get it. i think. wow, LOL that feels good, to get something just from a pic.

i know, I'm so weird. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #20 of 23

tonedna... Just kidding ! I know your a very busy lady ! Thanks again for the pm !

tonedna Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:21am
post #21 of 23

You welcome girl!..I know you are! icon_wink.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:12am
post #22 of 23

I have to give these a try. Calla lillies were my "wedding flowers" - on my cake, my bouqueswt, invitations, etc. I have used fondant and gumpaste before but never made callas as they looked so difficult. l had read somewhere that people thought they were the easiest flowers to make. I was so shocked at that. Now that I've read this thread, I am definitely going to try them.

charlieinMO Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #23 of 23

I checked out the video link! That was a great one!! She has quite a few that are very helpful!! Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%