Cream Cheese Frosting: Refrigerate??

Decorating By kristykgs Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm by ziggytarheel

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

I am putting a crusting Cream Cheese Frosting that I found on CC's on a carrot cake for tomorrow. I have always heard different things, so I thought I would pose the question to all the experienced or not so experienced bakers on CC. Does the cake need to be refrigerated with the cream cheese frosting???

8 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 9

for a customer? it shouldn't sit out for more than 2 hours; personally I can sit out for longer as long as it is in a cool location, not outdoors in summertime.....

HTH

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 9

I never refrigerate my cakes that have cream cheese frosting. Just keep it nicely closed in the cake box.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 9

I would definately keep in the fridge, especially with the heat...I wouldn't want to take a chance someone getting sick. I personally refridgerate everything but plain buttercream, better safe than sorry

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 9

It would be best. But in a pinch, I don't think it would hurt anything if it can't be. Cream cheese is pasturized, and many cheesecakes are left at room temp. They just taste better refrigerated, and last longer. But if is being served tomorrow, I think it would be fine. IMO>>>>>

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you all so much for responding. I have to laugh at myself, because I actually thought I would get a uniform answer.... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I should have known all bakers and cake decorators have their way of doing things.

Thanks again for all your help and for responding so quickly.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 9

On a warm day, I don't think the cream cheese will 'go bad' if it's sitting at room temp for 2 hours but it will melt all over the place! The only two times I have ever had icing sliding off the cake have been with the cream cheese frosting.......it's like my Kryptonite. icon_sad.gif

I flat out refuse to do CC frosting in the summer after my last fiasco. And I find making the cake a whole day ahead and letting it really set up in the fridge and then popping it in the freezer for 30 minutes prior to pick up or delivery helps it not to melt in the car.....can you tell I have had some bad cream cheese experiences? Best of luck to you - it sounds wonderful! icon_smile.gif

ainsleyandmatthewmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ainsleyandmatthewmom Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 9

If I'm decorating with cream cheese icing on a cake to be picked up or served THAT DAY, I do not refrigerate it. If I bake/decorate the day before (or longer) I do refrigerate. If the customer picks up the cake and won't serve it till the following day or later, I recommend they refrigerate it. Then I instruct them to remove it from the fridge 30 min. to an hour before serving to warm up just a tad.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%