How Do I Get The Design On This Cake

Decorating By Soniabean Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm by Soniabean

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 13

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows how to create the design that is around this cake? Is it made from chocolate or chocolate buttercream? I wasn't sure if it was an impression mat. Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif
LL

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 13

those are flat rectangular strips of chocolate. A bit tricky if you don't work with chocolate, a lot.

You can do something similar with cut strips of chocolate fondant or even chocolate clay.

jacquie575 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacquie575 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 13

To me they just look like chocolate rectangles. I bet that the cake is iced in buttercream and then the rectangles are placed around the cake. I am thinking kind of the same way this one was done.
LL

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 13

They look like chocolate bars because they are so smooth, I think they just placed them around the BC.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 13

I think they look like the bottoms of twix bars around it base. ugggg, having a chocoholic moment! let me wipe off my chin now.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

those are flat rectangular strips of chocolate. A bit tricky if you don't work with chocolate, a lot.

You can do something similar with cut strips of chocolate fondant or even chocolate clay.

Yep! thumbs_up.gif It's basically heated chocolate spread on acetate, etc. allowed to cool and then cut into rectangles. But that's a simple version of it. Something like a chocolate wrap but cut.... I wouldn't think it would be too hard and there are tricks to getting around tempering the chocolate although I think tempering it would work the best (it also gives it that shiny appearance).

Also, chocolate does melt so wouldn't want to use it on a cake displayed outside.

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 13

ok all these cakes are so yummy. I just want a piece.

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 13

You could use chocolate MMF, cut into strips & place on the cake.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 13

They are strips of melted chocolate. In one of the wilton yearbooks, there is this technique described. They have swirled the chocolate using a comb and put the pieces (triangular) on the top of the cake like standing up. This is similar one but smooth.

In case you need the information, it says to melt the chocolate and pour it on wax paper. Cut it into desired shape after cooling. For the swirl, it needs to be done before chocolate completely sets. HTH

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 13

Here's a link on how to temper chocolate and why you should....

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/155/Tempering-Chocolate

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 13

okay, call me crazy but that looks exactlly like the back of the mini kit kat bars! I saw a baby shower cake made with those with a washtub lines with them...this looks exactlly the same!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 13

Hi, here is a video on how to temper chocolate.

http://video.about.com/candy/How-to-Temper-Chocolate.htm

And here is another picture that shows how to cut different decorations with chocolate. Like aswartzw has mentioned, you can use plain acitate to do this, even though that person is using choc transfer sheet.

http://candy.about.com/od/phototutorials/ss/sbscaketransfer_9.htm

HTH.

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all for your help. I was thinking it could be individual chocolate pieces but I was hoping it was a mat since I would like to try the design on a cake I am doing but the person can't have chocolate icon_sad.gif and doesn't want fondant near her cake. I guess we are going to have move on to design b. You guys rock!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%