This is the request:
A corvette with a man driving & shooting a bird w/
a splint on his finger.

Any ideas before I call this lady back?

7 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 8

no ideas, but good luck! sounds like a very... interesting customer you have there, with very creative ideas. icon_lol.gif

have fun!

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 8

I would do a carved cake (like a corvette) covered in fondant with the figure modeled out of gumpaste and have the bird hanging from a wire (with the wire coming up out of the cake, KWIM?)

Good luck!

Danielle

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 8

I'm with yelle66.. only I'd do the figure out of a fondant/gumpaste mix. Figure modeling with straight gumpaste is a PITA since it starts drying so quickly. I usually use fondant with tylose added to it for figures.

Sounds like a fun cake. icon_smile.gif

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 8

Jkalman, so far I've been too chicken to do the fondant/gumpaste mix, but I agree the CK gumpaste (powdered) does dry out really fast. The premade stuff does dry very well at all though and I guess I'm worried the gumpaste/fondant mix will be like that.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #6 of 8

OK, so i read this as the guy was flipping the bird with a splint on his finger! icon_redface.gif

Can the corvette be a convertible? that would be easier... or the guy sitting on the roof with a rifle?

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm going to carve the cake and cover in fondant.

Found out she does want a convertible so this cake will be very detailed.

icon_wink.gif The cake isn't due until December so I'm going to do a test run before then.

Wish me luck - I'll post pictures.... lOL hopefully a good successful picture.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:35am
post #8 of 8

Yelle66.. the figure on my castle cake is made with fondant with some tylose kneaded in.. she dried up nice with no issues. I find with straight GP you must work SUPER fast or it gets a skin on it and when you go to bend limbs into shape you get some elephant skin wrinkles. With a fondant mix you don't have to go as fast and can get more details. icon_smile.gif

Good luck Stephanie.. I can't wait to see your sucessful trial run.. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%