Gingham On Cake...airbrush??

Decorating By DebbieHouser Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm by Yomomma

DebbieHouser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbieHouser Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 33

Does anyone know how this is done? It appears to look airbrushed on buttercream. This person also does stripes in the same way. I'd love to know how it is done. I think it looks awesome. Any ideas?

32 replies
Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 33

It looks like it might be an edible image. Maybe someone else knows more. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 33

It does look like and edible image background however I have also seen this technique done by airbrush Also..I too wish I knew how to do it!!

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 33

I also want to know how this is done. I love plaid! I got an airbrust for Mother's day so if there is a technique/instructions for acheiving plaid, please share.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 33

I think you'd just about have to do this by masking. I don't think you could get those straight edges without masking. When I was a graphic designer, we had a tape we used that would stick pretty good but also peel off easily. Something like painters tape, but thicker so it wouldn't stretch and distort. I haven't tried masking on fondant, but I'm about to do a picnic table cake and I'm going to give it a try on the table cloth. Last time I did one of these I cut out a gazillon red squares of fondant. It was a pain.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 33

I tried masking on fondant with painters tape and it didn't stick.

I tried it b/c I saw them do it, or something like it, on ace of cakes. maybe I should pay closer attention.

let us know how it goes Vickster

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 33

Maybe you could pm the person who made this?

DebbieHouser Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 33

It came off a website. I think I will email the decorator and see if she'll share her secret.

strawberry0121 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 33

Ah! I see. It really looks like an edible image to me as well. But I would love to know how people do it with air brush.

AshleyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyV Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 33

I don't usually post anything but this topic caught my eye b/c I teach airbrushing classes.
That isn't an edible image it was done on buttercream with an airbrush. The technique for gingham or stripes is achieved using a stencil which you can purchase or make yourself depending upon your needs. Then it just takes practice icon_smile.gif
I hope that helps!

strawberry0121 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 33

I would LOVE to take air brushing classes! It could add a whole new dimension to my cakes. So, can you tell us how to make or where to get a stencil for this effect? Thanks!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 33

It is done with an airbrush and stencil. You can make your own stencils out of a variety of things...paper, acetate, the plastic you find under bacon is another good thing to use! For this plaid, you would cut stripes and spray with them vertical then horizontal. The stripes can be uniform width or various widths. You can vary the density of color [ by spraying heavier on the edge of the stripe] to give it the shaded effect on each stripe and you get the heaviest color where the stripes overlaped when you do the opposite angle. You can also do multi color stripes and get a totally different 'plaid' look! Fun to do and really easy once you get the hang of it! If you use a plastic stencil you can re-use it over and over again.....paper is good for a one shot cake.

To get the frame look as in the sample, you need to put down something on the cake to block the spray from the stencil, leave it in place until you are completly finished with the plaid portion of the design.

strawberry0121 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #13 of 33

Thanks for the tips!

So, do you just make it so you can spray one strip at a time? If so, how do you prevent the air brush color that have already sprayed to not get messed up when you move the stencil?

Or do you make several, enough to cover the whole cake?

Thanks again!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 33

When I make a 'plaid' type stencil, I make it to fit the cake so I do not have to move it around for each stripe. I use an Exacto knife to cut the stripes, what ever size and as many as I need to completely cover a cake. I have one stencil for a 12x18 cake that will work with smaller cakes as well. By varying the angle you place the stencil on the cake you can get a variety of patterns from the same stencil.

You can get an interesting effect by spraying the vertical stripes in a soft color, maybe yellow, then moving the stencil just a tiny bit to expose some white, and spraying again with a complimenting color say blue. You end up with each stripe having 3 color parts....like yellow, green [where the colors overlap] and blue.

Change the position of the stencil to horizontal and repeat the same order....very interesting how the colors blend, some dark and some light!

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 33

I can't wait to try this! I like the idea of making one large plastic stensil so you can do many sizes. I also like the over lapping color idea. Thanks so much for sharing these ideas!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 33

I did a round cake similar to this with edible image stripes scanning scrap booking paper. Really easy and a different look!

Linda

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #17 of 33

roland winbeckler has this technique in his books..... i have them and his stencils.... i play around with them at times... i have frances kuypers books and carol faxons books also... they are all great.... they help you to teach yourself.... that is what i did... hth this picture has been airbrushed in the background

kurn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurn Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #18 of 33

The stencil is a Magic Mist Stencil.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/airbrush/stencils.htm

kurn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurn Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #19 of 33

icon_redface.gif did I do something bad?
I have the stencil...thought I'd share where to get it.

strawberry0121 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #20 of 33

Not sure what happened with your link. Thanks, everyone for your generosity!!

DebbieHouser Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #21 of 33

I found your stencil and see that the company started with Sugar and ended with craft. I believe there is some feud with CC and them. So that's why it was blocked. But i did find the stencil so that is cool.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #22 of 33

This looks awesome and sounds pretty easy to do. Just got an airbrush awhile go so looking for any new way to use it! Will definatly be trying this!

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #23 of 33

AWESOME! thumbs_up.gif Thanks to those that shared info & links!

I've been kinda bummed w/ my airbrush - I reallly wish there were classes available so I could learn full use of this tool as it applies to cake/cookie decorating - are there?

Now that I know I can achieve this look (Plaid!) I'm motivated to experiment more.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #24 of 33

I still can't find the stencil. icon_cry.gif Apparently I'm not smart enough...

Yomomma, don't give up on your airbrush. I had a lot of problems with mine in the beginning. My DH bought it for me for Christmas and I thought he had just gotten a bad one. It kept spitting paint out. I found that I was pushing the button down too far. I didn't realize that you were supposed to just barely push it down. I love it now! You'll figure yours out!
icon_biggrin.gif

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #25 of 33

Mindy. You have to be ultra fastidious with the airbrush about keeping it clean. I keep a bucket of water near by when painting. If you take a break, stick it down in the water and run water through it so your color doesn't dry inside. Otherwise you'll have to take it apart to clean it. Sputters and splatters usually mean some dried "paint" inside.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #26 of 33

Thanks Vickster! I did not realize that. Luckily, I have always run water through mine right away, but I didn't realize they were that touchy! thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #27 of 33

I made 2 stencils yesterday.. one out of foam board to do my cake board with.. then one out of stencil paper... and cut it out with my hot stencil knife.. very easy and cute too icon_smile.gif

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #28 of 33

Great Stencil Site, no gigham design... http://www.designerstencils.com

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #29 of 33

If ya just google Magic Mist Stencils, you'll come up with a few sites that carry this product....also......
Most regular airbrush techniques may be applied to cake airbrushing...so.....go to youtube, type in 'airbrush' or 'airbrushing'....there are many videos on how to get certain looks and all of the basics for airbrushing.
icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #30 of 33

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%