Need Help Immediately....my Fondant Bow Flopped

Decorating By kimpa Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm by gottabakenow

kimpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimpa Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:57am
post #1 of 17

I am making a graduation cake for this evening. I was up until after midnight preping the cakes (filling and crumbcoat) and making the fondant accents when I noticed my bow flopped. It never dried. icon_sad.gif

I have to deliver the cake at 7pm tonight. I am at work right now..I am exhausted. I am leaving to go home at 11am to finish the cake. It is a three tier while cake layered with BC and a fondant cover. I am doing cutout circles on the cake I already have the fondant letters done and the stars cutout for 2008.

Now the problem, what should I do for a topper? Go buy a bow????? HELP. Any advice is appreciated.

16 replies
Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 17

Try making it with pure gum paste. They dry faster and harder than the fondant. Stuff with paper towels and let them dry before sticking them on the cake. If I were you, I would keep a ribbon bow handy just in case.

Good luck,

kimpa Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 17

I never used gumpaste, is it easy to work with?

How long would it take to dry?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 17

I'm not sure with your timeframe if it will dry in time, but working with gumpaste is almost the same as with fondant. Remember it dries faster so you can't leave it uncovered or unsealed. It hardens much faster than fondant and is much better to use for bows.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 17

I would keep the towels in the bow until you need to take them out. I heard you can put it in front of an air vent, put in a food dehydrator or sit in front of the oven to help it dry faster. Good luck.

kimpa Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 17

This cake is for my neighbors daughter. We are really good friends. I had free reign on the design.

Ok so I am scratching the bow. It is probably NOT a good time to work with gumpaste on my first try.

Would you do a ribbon bow from the store or would it look good with gerber daisies (fresh) on the top?

Thanks for all your input so far. I need more practice.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 17

I would go with fresh flowers!! You can never go wrong with that!!

kimpa Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 17

I think fresh flowers would work best at this point. The colors are a deep Raspberry, moss green and butter color. I am thinking bright deep pink daisies.

I am so stressed and feel defeated. I wanted to make the cake I had planned in my mind!

Valli_War Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 17

I would go with fresh flowers too. Don't worry about not having the way you wanted, it will turn out beautiful.

Good luck,

kimpa Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I am sitting here at work just counting the minutes until I can leave for the day.

One more question. I have crumbcoated and will make some BC when I go home and ice the cakes. Do you think I should put them in the refrig for awhile before I put the fondant on?

WHY am I so nervous? I guess cause everyone will expect the cake to be a masterpiece (that is what the grandmother said!!) icon_surprised.gif

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 17

Don't be nervous. I bet it will be beautiful, and no one but you (and us!) know that your original design won't work. And I promise we won't tell! Some of my best cakes have come together when my original design wouldn't work for one reason or another. Call it serendipity. icon_smile.gif

kimpa Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 17

Well here it is. They loved it. I was so happy after it was delivered and they couldn't stop talking about it all night.
LL

amandamotley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamotley Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 17

I'd say that's a pretty impressive recovery. It's beautiful!

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 17

Oh, I love it! I think it turned out beautiful even if it wasn't exactly what you envisioned icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 17

I have to agree, that is a beautiful cake! Great Job thumbs_up.gif

Valli_War Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 17

See your bows flopped for a reason. This one is a beautiful cake.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valli_War

See your bows flopped for a reason. This one is a beautiful cake.

yes, i always say that everything happens for a reason. (welllll, not when i'm in the middle of a disaster, but... icon_razz.gif ) awesome cake, and i love the flowers! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%