Love Smbc....wanted To Share

Business By MayWest Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 12:22pm by Linliv46

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #31 of 46

Thank You for the video that was very helpful...Now my only question is do you have to refridgerate the SMBC if you are not going to serve it right away i.e. waiting for pickup or delivery??

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #32 of 46

What do you do with all the left over egg yolks? I hear curds freeze well.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #33 of 46

I always always refrigerate it, then let it come to room temperature before serving.

SMBC freezes realllly well! I found a tip on another website that helps it come together if it curdles after thawing and trying to re-whip: just gradually heat about 1/4 of it on low-med, stirring constantly (hot but not boiling!) then pour into the rest and re-whip. Works like magic for me every time.

Leftover egg yolks in my world most often equal pastry cream, it is like curd but with milk instead of juice. Though the last couple of times I used the yolks to make Hollandaise sauce from scratch⦠LOVE it!!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #34 of 46

i also use the yollks to make french buttercream....... you bring the sugar and water to 240 degrees..... beat the yolks til thick , light and creamy... then pour the hot syrup over the yolks..... beat for 15-20 more min...... then add your butter..... just like you do italian meringue buttercream. then add your flavors or chocolate ,etc.... it is in dede wilsons books.. i love it.... she calls it egg yolk buttercream... i have one from the newpaper, they call it french buttercream.. very delicious....

2sisters_mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sisters_mc Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #35 of 46

I am so glad that I came upon this post! I have just recently started to use SMBC, but I was always scared to add any other flavorings because I didn't want to mess up the icing. My sister attends The Restuarant School in Philly and we got the recipe from her pastry book (it also came recommended by one of the chefs). It was nice to read how everyone else adds flavorings to it....definitely going to experiment with it now. Also, for all of those people who have not tried to make the SMBC...don't let the directions intimidate you...it is actually a lot easier then it seems...I also find that it is very quick and easy to make....I prefer it to other frostings. icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #36 of 46

I also use that u-tube video and recipe and it has never failed & is so good! I love this for cupcakes!

Linda

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:45pm
post #37 of 46

I would like to try this recipe but how does it hold up in heat? I am going to have to deliver this cake and it is an hour away...what do you think?? Will I make it with the icing on the cake. Please note that I am in Texas where the temp and humidity are always the same... way to high!!

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:49pm
post #38 of 46

Does SMBC crust??

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #39 of 46

no it does not crust.... nor does imbc and all the others that are made like this....

sliceofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sliceofheaven Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #40 of 46

great link thanks! A couple of questions though..if SMBC doesn't crust...how can you decorate/design with it without your decorations falling (sliding) off? And, can you use it under fondant? TIA

2sisters_mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sisters_mc Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #41 of 46

I have used it under mmf and it tastes very good!!!! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #42 of 46

I have decorated with it tons of times and the decos stay put.. I also use it under fondant. Just chill your cake for a while before you put the fondant on and you can get a very sharp edge. icon_smile.gif

You can leave it out for a little while. I have left it out for a couple days with no issues.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #43 of 46

mcdonal, I'm in Texas too and first I was concerned about the humidity, too. I just made a batch 2 days ago when it was extremely humid here and whipped up without a problem. If your cake is well chilled, no direct sunlight and you make sure your AC is around 70, you won't have a problem traveling with it. I put the cakebox on the floor in my van and make sure the AC is blowing on it. Hasn't had problem so far.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #44 of 46

i'm in texas too and use it all the time. edit gave good tips on how to deliver it

many recipes (they should say) are actually ok at cool room temp (68-70 ideally) for up to a day and a half. the only time i've had it spoil was when a friend of mine left a cupcake in her car a couple weeks ago at about 90' degrees outside (hotter in the car, obviously) for about 6 hours. obviously you wouldnt want to do that. but i often keep it over for long periods of time when i'm decorating a fondant covered cake.

if its a large tiered cake, i always recommend to take it out of the fridge (i chill until delivery) several hours before serving. its definately best at room temp, and it usually takes awhile to come down to it.

dbmiller02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbmiller02 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:30am
post #45 of 46

Okay, after all the encouragement and great tips on this forum (especially the youtube video). I made my first batch of SMBC tonight. It is so smooth and I love how it feels so light when you taste it.

I have a couple of questions.

How well does it hold up in the heat? I live in NC and the humidity is unbearable here sometimes. How long can it go unrefrigerated safely?

Also, I was curious about smoothing with SMBC. I know it does not crust so you can't use the VIVA method. Is it just so smooth anyway that you don't need to smooth with the paper towel?

I am going to taste test this on family and friends who are used to my regular buttercream 1/2butter 1/2 crisco recipe to see what they think.

For those of you who use primarily SMBC do you ever have customers requesting traditional PS recipe buttercream instead? If so, do you offer the PS BC as well? They are just so different in taste and texture that I would think some would prefer one over the other.

Sorry for all the questions. I am excited that I have finally tried SMBC. Now, I want to learn from the best!

Thanks!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:22pm
post #46 of 46

I love this SMBC too, but does anyone make roses and deco. for the cake with it? Mine always seems too soft for that.
Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%