Bagged Cookies = Soft Cookies?

Baking By cakedesigner59 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 3:07pm by marthajo1

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:24am
post #1 of 6

I'm a newbie at cookies. I use a recipe very similar to NFSC, but I find that after I decorate the cookies and bag them, overnight they get soft. So soft that even placing them gingerly into a box results in breakage. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or if I need to adjust my recipe? I've used both Toba's icing and Royal, and I've had the problem with both icings. I do live in the humid south...is that it? If so, what do you southern bakers do? Thanks!

5 replies
Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:19am
post #2 of 6

Have you tried baking them an extra minute or two? Either that or try adding a bit more flour. Both should give you a firmer cookie.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 6

It's the humidity. Also, if you use Toba's in this weather you will definitely get a softer cookie. I made that mistake last year and I won't do it again! The only thing I can think of is to make only cookie shapes that are not fragile (i.e. circles, squares, rectagles) and put the design on that. Good luck!

Susan

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 6

Try freezing the cookies first.For some reason this seems to harden the cookie enough so that it doesn't become too soft after the icing is applied.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, all. I have re-read Antonia's article on here and will try the freezer thing. Trouble is, I have a side-by-side and a cookie sheet won't fit. Sigh. I'll think of something. I'll also stick to royal and bake them a little longer. Thanks!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 6

Something to think about....

If you can (design wise) you can try fondant as your base instead of flooding. I love the smooth look it gives and it makes a stronger cookie cause it is a solid frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%