You Want What?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm by Jenn123

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 41

OK, I must be in a mood today, because this is my second vent! icon_lol.gif

I just got a call from a lady who wanted a cake and she told me what she wanted, etc. The cake is for the end of July. She said "Is there any way you could make the cake now, and then let us come see it so we know what we will be ordering? We want to know exactly what it will look like."

Is she insane? icon_lol.gif
No! I am SO not making you two cakes for the price of one, just so you can SEE it. What is wrong with people?

Stepping away from the computer now... icon_redface.gif

40 replies
imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #2 of 41

soooo..... you mean you can't pull one out of your a$$ for free then?

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #3 of 41

Ha ha! That is unbelievable! Where do people get these crazy ideas from?!

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #4 of 41

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif I'm sorry...but people will never cease to amaze me! You MUST laugh this one off!

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #5 of 41

I tell you, sometimes I think the problem is people are not even thinking, the nerve to ask for something like that it just blows my mind

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #6 of 41

oh sure why not? make it and give it to her to freeze. she'll get to see it early, which is what she wants, right?

people are weird.

summernoelle Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #7 of 41

EMilyGrace, that cake in your Avatar is one of my favorite cakes ever. I have it saved, and will prob. try to copy it one day, with your permission icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #8 of 41

She said

Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

"Is there any way you could make the cake now, and then let us come see it so we know what we will be ordering? We want to know exactly what it will look like."

I say: "Sure!! So we have an order for TWO cakes ... one now and one in July. Your total cost for both cakes will be ...... "

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #9 of 41

I would tell her, sure, and I will just stick it in my freezer until you are ready for it to be delivered.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #10 of 41

you must not have the magic button on your oven that says pop one out for free? Nothing actually amazes me anymore...I had a lady order a cake last week, she called me the week before that to order and the comment she gave me (which I thought was the best) I got your name from a friend and you were highly recommended....I want to order a cake, but don't want to spend a lot of money, even though I am sure your cakes are worth it, I would really rather put the money into the decorations....are you crazy....I don't know about you guys but when I go to a party I am looking for food to eat, not balloons and streamers....guess maybe that is why I am not skinny been eating the food all this time instead of the decorations!!! So I felt like telling her you would rather have everyone looking at some crappy decorations, rather than making them happy with cake? Whatever I am just the baker right? Sorry to vent now back on topic...I would give her a sketch and tell her this is what it will look like, and if some reason she doesn't have faith in you offer to make a small...I mean tiny version of the cake for a fee of course...If there is more money involved I am sure her answer will be no..most people are cheap and they are always the biggest pains!!! Good luck!

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #11 of 41

Thanks summernoelle! Of course you can copy it! I got the idea from a couple cakes on here! I actually just had a lady see it on facebook and she asked if I could make it for her this weekend... pretty short notice!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #12 of 41

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! OMG that's rich. I'd be inclined to say sure.. if you don't mind paying for it now.. and again when I make it in July.. icon_confused.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:19am
post #13 of 41

icon_eek.gif Just when I thought I had heard them all.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:22am
post #14 of 41

I wish I had overheard the conversation. I would have loved to see the expression on your face. icon_lol.gif So.... what did you say... and what did she say..? icon_lol.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:22am
post #15 of 41

Well, I just had my laugh for the day!!! I can't believe some people.
I was going to be a smart .... and say: What's the matter haven't you ever heard of "good customer service?" but, I just got done baking several cakes and am too tired to find that funny. icon_wink.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #16 of 41

That sounds like a bride a couple of months ago who asked me if I could try to have her wedding cake set up in my kitchen on the Friday afternoon before her wedding so that she could come by and approve it!!!

summernoelle Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #17 of 41

It was funny.

I said "You want me to make it...before you order?"
She said "Yes. So we can see what it looks like."
I said "No." (Seriously, this is the quickest I have ever said no like that to a client. I am such a people pleaser that I am usually too nice. But after being stood up with another client today, I had HAD IT!)
So, she said "You won't do that?"
"No"
"OK, well I'll have the check with my friend and see if she is OK with that...I'll get back to you."
Then, she had the nerve to say "You don't think that this cake will be too hard for you? Do you think you can do it?" Which really p****** me off, because it is just a 2 tiered Dallas Cowboys cake with a fondant baby on the top. I think I can do that! Seriously!

Five million gazillion bucks says I never hear from her again.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #18 of 41

"Well sure if you pay me for it"!!! stupid woman (caller).

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:30am
post #19 of 41

summernoelle.. I for sure would of said yes and charged her that same price !! Good for you !! Crazy Customers !!!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:33am
post #20 of 41

Well, I just had my laugh for the day!!! I can't believe some people.
I was going to be a smart .... and say: What's the matter haven't you ever heard of "good customer service?" but, I just got done baking several cakes and am too tired to find that funny. icon_wink.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:36am
post #21 of 41

You might tell her yes and say, and I would like for you to pay for it so I can see how long it takes your check to clear my bank. It would really help me to know this before I get the next check, for the actual cake.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #22 of 41

Apparently you need to get your nose fixed, your Samantha Stevens nose twitch is out of order, and probably needs a tune-up. icon_lol.gif

Are you considering taking the job if she calls back? If she's hell now, she's only going to get worse. And if her friend has to approve it, why isn't her friend ordering it instead?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #23 of 41

I can't believe you are mad about this!!!! How DARE you not be able to poop out a cake that has a fondant baby on it ... TWICE

icon_wink.gif

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #24 of 41
Quote:

Then, she had the nerve to say "You don't think that this cake will be too hard for you? Do you think you can do it?" Which really p****** me off, because it is just a 2 tiered Dallas Cowboys cake with a fondant baby on the top. I think I can do that! Seriously!

Five million gazillion bucks says I never hear from her again.

That gets me too. I mean if you don't feel like I can do the cake, why are you calling me? icon_cool.gif
I swear for sh1ts and giggles you should make a dummy cake for your site so they can see what they missed out on.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #25 of 41

Gosh, Summernoelle, you mean you can't go out into the backyard and pick one off the "cake tree" for her to SEE?

Bwhaaahaaahaaa!!

icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:04am
post #26 of 41

You guys have given me a good laugh-thank you! It is still amazing how people just don't get it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #27 of 41

This is unrelated, but it reminds me of a wedding I did a few years ago. One of the guests came to the kitchen asking for coffee. I told her the bride didn't order any coffee. She then proceeds to tell me, "oh.... well ... when *I* do these kind of things ... you know ... for family 'n such ... well, I always bring a little of everything ... you know ... just in case!"

Yeah. Every caterer I know is going to pack and haul their coffee maker, coffee, cups, creamer, sugar, stirrers, sweeteners, extension cords, and pay a staff member to make the coffee just in case someone wants that ONE cup of coffee .... THAT NO ONE HAS PAID FOR!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right .... They just don't get it.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #28 of 41

O
M
G
!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

She said
Quote:

"Is there any way you could make the cake now, and then let us come see it so we know what we will be ordering? We want to know exactly what it will look like."

I say: "Sure!! So we have an order for TWO cakes ... one now and one in July. Your total cost for both cakes will be ...... "

Yep, yep! This is so what I was thinking. Sure I will do that for you, but you WILL be paying me for two cakes!

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:58am
post #30 of 41

Wow! Talk about people being clueless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%